Proper Squat Form - How do I get there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Squat Form - How do I get there

After watching the video of "The most efficient way to work out" I have been trying to figure out how to get my form down on Squats.

I feel like I go down to a point and then I start going forward (bending over), which I want to avoid. The only way I can get to 90 is holding on to something, my center of gravity shifts too far backward.

It feels and looks like a flexibility issue in my ankles/calf muscles, are there any stretches I can do that will allow me to get to 90 degrees?
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

I'm the same way. I do my squats with dumbells. Much more comfortable for my 6'3 frame. You don't need much weight to make your legs and whole lower area explode in size if you just work it out at least once a week. It also allows me to go all the way down with my feet flat.
    sigpic

Comment

I see a lot of people using a bench as a barrier. I'm not sure you'll be able to reach a full 90 degree, but it'll be close. Also, not sure where you work out, but a lot of gyms have those racks with the guided squat system. It'll allow you to lean back while doing your squat. You just have to add more weight to offset the counter weight system.
      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Could be a number of things. Flexibility, form, weakness, or a combination. Your best bet is working with someone in person or posting a video. If it's a flexibility issue, it's probably in your hips.

Comment

Originally posted by poopnut2 View Post
          I see a lot of people using a bench as a barrier. I'm not sure you'll be able to reach a full 90 degree, but it'll be close. Also, not sure where you work out, but a lot of gyms have those racks with the guided squat system. It'll allow you to lean back while doing your squat. You just have to add more weight to offset the counter weight system.
          Box (bench) squats are a training tool that shouldn't be used unless you understand the proper mechanics of squatting. Definitely not something a person should use to learn to squat.

And the Smith machine is the absolute worst thing a squatter can do, it leads to terrible form and places the spine in danger.

Like Shorty said, it's likely a combination of several issues. Hip flexibility and core strength are often the limiting factors for squatting.

IMO, the 2 best methods for learning to squat properly are goblet squats and pistols.

Goblet squats: read and watch

Pistols: read and read

Comment

And another article.

Comment

Wow...I would kill myself if I tried to do a pistol!

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                Wow...I would kill myself if I tried to do a pistol!
                Use a door frame or rack for support. They'll make you address any issues with core instability or flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                  Use a door frame or rack for support. They'll make you address any issues with core instability or flexibility.
                  Man my legs are strong for running but for any lifting they are weak as hell..I'm working out with 180 lbs on the squat because I suck at it. Tried pistols, makes me look like a fool but I like the idea.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X