45 70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 70

Well I traded my Remington 700 25-06 for a stainless Marlin 45-70. The bullets for this thing are ridiculous! I am having problems uploading picks. Anyone have any experience with these?

My dad built one back in the day when he was in gunsmithing school. I will see if I can get pics. The bullets are HUGE. They could easily take down a buffalo

Comment

I reload 45-70. Typically only shoot military rifles like the trapdoor or sharps rifles.

Comment

I have a Marlin 1895 model in .45-70. I love shooting it, but it gets expensive quick. I need to start reloading it too, but that project is on the back burner for now.

Comment

My step dad has a .30-30 Marlin. It needs a good cleaning but still pretty cool.

Comment

Got a t/c pistol in 45-70. Wrist breaking sonofabitch..

Comment

45-70 is a good round, you can buy the normal factory loads designed for the trapdoor guns,or you can get +p loads that are only for use in modern strong guns(ruger,marlin,encore) Here are some videos of my stepdad and myself shooting my 15" barrel encore w +p loads(350 grn at 2100 fps) I tried to warn him The normal remington green box loads are quite mild, 300 grn at 1800fps and 400 grn at 1000fps I believe. you can reload your own or buy buffalo bore ammo and kill dinosaurs if you really want to

satisfaction is the death of desire...

its still "We the people"...right?

Comment

I have a Marlin 336 in .444; hurts shoulder and pocketbook to shoot but is a great elk and bear in the dark timber gun.

Comment

In before Allan

Here's my Marlin 1895-GS .45-70
                  Scope is off now... with a 405gr bullet there's not much distance shooting going on. At 200 yds the holdover is around 2ft.

Comment

Originally posted by mightyp View Post
                    45-70 is a good round, you can buy the normal factory loads designed for the trapdoor guns,or you can get +p loads that are only for use in modern strong guns(ruger,marlin,encore) Here are some videos of my stepdad and myself shooting my 15" barrel encore w +p loads(350 grn at 2100 fps) I tried to warn him The normal remington green box loads are quite mild, 300 grn at 1800fps and 400 grn at 1000fps I believe. you can reload your own or buy buffalo bore ammo and kill dinosaurs if you really want to

I have an opportunity to shoot a buddies S&W 460 with some hot loads, but I believe the barrel is shorter than yours. He has Hornaday 200grn Flex-tip (approx 2200fps) in it right now but has some heavier loads too.
                    I'm anxious to see what it feels like shooting a beast like that.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                      In before Allan

Here's my Marlin 1895-GS .45-70
                      Scope is off now... with a 405gr bullet there's not much distance shooting going on. At 200 yds the holdover is around 2ft.

That is exactly what I have. Out of all mine this is prob my fave.

Comment

I always liked the .45-70 lever guns. I'm really drawn to the .45-90 express though. I had the opportunity to shoot a Marlin model 336 in .45-90. 4,000ft lbs of energy baby.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                          I always liked the .45-70 lever guns. I'm really drawn to the .45-90 express though. I had the opportunity to shoot a Marlin model 336 in .45-90. 4,000ft lbs of energy baby.
                          What was it I said at the gun show? Those need a team and a lanyard to fire?
                          i.e.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                            What was it I said at the gun show? Those need a team and a lanyard to fire?
                            i.e.
                            Funny thing is I think the percussion primer for a lot of our artillery is damn near a 45-70 case.

Comment

That Marlin 45-70 is nice guide gun. Short so it doesn't take up much room in bush plane and can kill a bear or moose in short time.

The reloading data I have for 45-70 splits up loads into 3 categories. Weakest for old guns like trapdoor Springfield, middle for the Marlin Lever, and stout for the Ruger no. 1 and the T/C guns. The most stout loads are pretty close to 458 Win Mag.

Comment

Working...
                              X