My pops made president

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My pops made president

My old man just made President of the Gryphons Motorcycle Club Ellis County chapter.

Now the hounding for me to finish my 48 panhead custom won't stop. I've got 2 kids and a wife and I'm not that thrilled to ride. I prefer to be wrapped in a cage going down the track. What do you guys think?

He said I can sell it or ride it (it was a gift from him)

Would you ride it and make your pops proud or sell it buy what you really want and take the "safe" road for your family.

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

finish it and wear a helmet. Dont drink and ride, and be safe.

/end thread.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I've been riding sport bikes non-stop since January of 1998. I commute to work almost every day on a CBR 1000RR.

Some time in the next few weeks, I'm stripping all the aftermarket goodies and selling the bike. Why? My first child is due Feb. 27th - and every time I ride, I think about him.

I'm that guy that always swore I wouldn't make drastic changes in my life just because I had kids. But I am addicted to acceleration, speed, wheelies, etc. I know that I won't change my riding habits (not a maniac, but definitely an aggressive rider) , so the only real option for me is to part ways with the sport bike.

I still have my dirt bike and the Mustang to get my fix, so I'm not completely selling out. I'm just omitting the most dangerous of my hobbies, for my kid's sake.

If you don't think you can enjoy the bike without feeling guilty about the possibility of leaving your kids without a father, just sell the damn thing. It won't make you any less of a man - in my mind, it takes a pretty strong person to make a sacrifice like that for someone else.

Comment

If you don't really enjoy riding, then the money would be better spent elsewhere. If you prefer a cage, then you'd probably be too nervous while riding to have "fun."

I say put some time on it and see if you can ease into it or not. If not, then sell it, or give it back.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
          I've been riding sport bikes non-stop since January of 1998. I commute to work almost every day on a CBR 1000RR.

Some time in the next few weeks, I'm stripping all the aftermarket goodies and selling the bike. Why? My first child is due Feb. 27th - and every time I ride, I think about him.

I'm that guy that always swore I wouldn't make drastic changes in my life just because I had kids. But I am addicted to acceleration, speed, wheelies, etc. I know that I won't change my riding habits (not a maniac, but definitely an aggressive rider) , so the only real option for me is to part ways with the sport bike.

I still have my dirt bike and the Mustang to get my fix, so I'm not completely selling out. I'm just omitting the most dangerous of my hobbies, for my kid's sake.

If you don't think you can enjoy the bike without feeling guilty about the possibility of leaving your kids without a father, just sell the damn thing. It won't make you any less of a man - in my mind, it takes a pretty strong person to make a sacrifice like that for someone else.
          I was the same way from 16 to sayyyy 30 ish, get you a VRod or the new VMax. It lessens the urge to do crazy top speed shit but you still got the juice when you wanna hit it for a tad or get something bigger to just lug around on. I love my 96 Electra and its like riding a big damn moped but will have another VRod.

To the OP. Finish it and ride it, I mean how much trouble could you get into on a old Pan? LOL I almost bought a 49 pan last year but it looks like to much work to ride. If you do wanna sell it send me some more pics and a price, I got a guy thats wants one.
          Last edited by kingjason; 01-23-2011, 09:53 AM.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

well if i rode anything it would only be a harley. I was involved in a pretty bad wreck on a gsxr in 03. my best friend had bought it that morning and needless to say came out of nowhere and turned my galant into a horse shoe....no helmet

i think thats what really fucked me up about riding. i think ill finish the bike then sell it......

and my dad wants me to sell it for no less than 8000 running. its a HD1 titled 48 pan

Comment

Congrats to your dad. But you've gotta live your life the way you wanna live it. Hopefully your dad can appreciate that your definition of freedom may be different from his.

I rode my whole life. Even taught my wife to ride and we both had nice Triumphs. We used to drop the little one off to play at the neighbor's and go riding. One day a car coming the opposite direction started to turn left in front of us (across our lane). The lady finally saw us and stopped before coming into our lane. But it crossed my mind that if the driver had completed that turn, our little girl could easily be an orphan.

And I can't count the number of donor-cycle fatalities I worked over the years where the dead rider didn't do a damn thing wrong.

Comment

you should sell it to me for $5

Comment

Did your best friend survive?

Comment

My advice would be to keep the bike and slowly finish it over time as time and money allows. As your kid(s) get older, you will want to ride again and you'll never be able to get your father's gift back.

You might even surprise yourself and decide to take the bike out every now and again.

Comment

No my friend did not survive he downshifted and locked the bike up and slid it 176 ft before he hit me went over my car about 30-40ft and there wasn't much left of his face. Some images you just can't get rid of

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        To the OP. Finish it and ride it, I mean how much trouble could you get into on a old Pan? LOL I almost bought a 49 pan last year but it looks like to much work to ride. If you do wanna sell it send me some more pics and a price, I got a guy thats wants one.
                        I may sound like a pussy, but it's not about how much trouble you get yourself into. Trouble comes and finds you most of the time and when it does, you're usually fucked.

I've been lucky - roughly 80,000 fairly hard miles in the last 13 years and I've never been down, not even close. I buried my best friend 5 years ago, although that one was his fault.

Personally, I would much rather be riding a sport bike than a heavy ass, ill-handling cruiser if trouble ever comes knocking at my door. I have agility and braking prowess on my side at least.

Comment

Originally posted by RuStYpNuS View Post
                          No my friend did not survive he downshifted and locked the bike up and slid it 176 ft before he hit me went over my car about 30-40ft and there wasn't much left of his face. Some images you just can't get rid of
                          Sorry man...a shitty memory of a good friend.

Comment

This is a tough one Scott . I know your gun shy and could use the money for other things but the Dad's gift thing is not easy to let go . Maybe you could finish it and ride it once in a while maybe with Dad . More bikes , more noise to be noticed . I would never want to see your two kids without a Dad (or loose you as a freind) but you could always get some good insurance just in case if it puts you a little more at ease . If you would not enjoy riding then it doesn't matter but think of how much pops would like to share that with you . Kinda like you sharing the stangs with Jax . It's your choice but if I had something like that I could share with my old man I would jump at the chance . Just my oppinion , take it or leave it .

Edit , I will ride it if your to much of a pussy ! LOL , JK
                            Last edited by dumpycapri85; 01-26-2011, 09:31 AM.
                            Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                              I may sound like a pussy, but it's not about how much trouble you get yourself into. Trouble comes and finds you most of the time and when it does, you're usually fucked.

I've been lucky - roughly 80,000 fairly hard miles in the last 13 years and I've never been down, not even close. I buried my best friend 5 years ago, although that one was his fault.

Personally, I would much rather be riding a sport bike than a heavy ass, ill-handling cruiser if trouble ever comes knocking at my door. I have agility and braking prowess on my side at least.
                              It's got a dual disc wide glide front end on it. It actually handles and brakes pretty well. It's not a jap bike by any means of handling but it's still somewhat of a piece of history.

Maybe I will keep it then.

Comment

Working...
                              X