Buzzing flourescent light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzing flourescent light

I have one of these in the master bedroom closet. One of the two bulbs wasn't coming on full brightness anymore and it started to buzz. I changed both bulbs out but it still buzzes. More like humming actually.

What's next? Replace the whole thing?
    Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

You just need to replace the ballast.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnimike1 View Post
      You just need to replace the ballast.
      must be the right ballast too, not just anything.
      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I replaced it with the one that match the specs the closest. For two lamps, type 40, 120 vac, magnetic, etc. The lights light up brightly and quickly but it hums/buzzes louder too. I saw they had an electric ballast. The one I removed and installed were both magnetic. Should I get the electric one instead?

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
          I replaced it with the one that match the specs the closest. For two lamps, type 40, 120 vac, magnetic, etc. The lights light up brightly and quickly but it hums/buzzes louder too. I saw they had an electric ballast. The one I removed and installed were both magnetic. Should I get the electric one instead?

yes, also if you wanted to you can convert it over to T-8 ballast and bulbs there more energy efficient and brighter.

Home Depot Link
          Last edited by crooner; 01-23-2011, 05:44 PM.

Comment

For like $25 you can replace the whole thing, not sure how much a ballast is tho, maybe they are real cheap?

Comment

The magnetic ballast was $19. The electric one was $20. I doubt they'll accept returns on electronic parts. I guess I'll fork out another $20 for the electric one if this humming bothers me enough. For now, I'll live with it.

Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by crooner View Post
                yes, also if you wanted to you can convert it over to T-8 ballast and bulbs there more energy efficient and brighter.

Home Depot Link
                This. I used to work for a lighting company and most of our business was retrofitting. T8s use less wattage, produce more lumens, and from a business stand point produce less heat. Let that f40 ballast run for awhile and it'll get nice and warm. Electronics don't get near as hot. Of course that won't matter in a closet but in commercial businesses it can. Just pick up some f32t8 lamps 4100k is my preference 3500k is a warmer color where as 4100 is cooler color, and an electronic t8 2 lamp 120v ballast and everything else is the same. Take that ballast back and tell them you changed your mind and want to upgrade. I guarantee they don't say no

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

That buzzing is transformer hum. Basically the laminations in the iron core of the transformer knock against each other as the magnetic field switches directions at 60 Hz. Make sure you check the sound rating on the ballast you get. You want an A or a B, at least.
                  Men have become the tools of their tools.
                  -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                  X