GPU comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU comparison

So someone with a bit more technical knowledge than I, please help me out. I used to run two EVGA 8800GT superclocked cards in SLI and one went bad. I sent it to EVGA and they replaced it with a GTX460. I let them know that I was running SLI and that I cant use my old card, but since they were purchased at Circuit City and I don't have proof of purchase, they said they usually don't even replace one and that they were doing me a favor.

I'm glad I got a nicer newer card, but am I going to have a loss in performance? A GTX 460 has the same memory as two 8800s, but how will it compare head to head? If its going to be a lower performing system overall, I'd want to call and see if they can upgrade to at least something comparable to two 8800s, but if not, I'll just leave it as it is. Any help?

A single GTX460 is faster than two 8800GT's in SLI. You got an upgrade, put your second GT as dedicated Physx card; than install Batman Arkham Asylum and watch the goodies.
    Did you have 512mb GT's? Did you get 760 or 1gb 460? What resolution do you play at?

edit: I should also clarify while your did get an upgrade, its marginal compared to your previous SLI setup.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
      A single GTX460 is faster than two 8800GT's in SLI. You got an upgrade, put your second GT as dedicated Physx card; than install Batman Arkham Asylum and watch the goodies.
      Did you have 512mb GT's? Did you get 760 or 1gb 460? What resolution do you play at?

edit: I should also clarify while your did get an upgrade, its marginal compared to your previous SLI setup.
      X2 Use the 8800 as a physx card. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/29...b-physx-gtx460

Comment

Not sure what I got yet, it comes in the mail tomorrow. Either way, the cards are going for $130-160, so I'll probably just buy another and throw it on there. My mobo can run 3 SLI so I'll just run the two 460s together and then another PCI-E on PhysX.

I might just run my 7900 as my PhysX card and have my 8800GT run solo on my backup rig

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post

I dont see a 460 less than 1GB on EVGAs site, so I'll just assume thats what I got

Comment

when my 9800GX2 went out, EVGA shipped me a GTX 480. At first i was a bit pissed because i had a dual-GPU card and they shipped me a single GPU card, but in the end it was an upgrade and i had better performance.

Oh, as an important tip, make sure you register the new card ASAP through EVGA.
            Last edited by 32vfromhell; 01-23-2011, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
              when my 9800GX2 went out, EVGA shipped me a GTX 480. At first i was a bit pissed because i had a dual-GPU card and they shipped me a single GPU card, but in the end it was an upgrade and i had better performance.

Oh, as an important tip, make sure you register the new card ASAP through EVGA.
              GX2's were garbage cards and were plagued with Microstudder. I had 2 in Quad Sli, and playing ANY game was more of a chore than anything.

Comment

Well damn it is a 768MB card, not a 1GB. Oh well. Hope its still a faster card than the last pair.

Comment

That 768mb 460 will be faster than your old setup.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzeran View Post
                    That 768mb 460 will be faster than your old setup.
                    worth it to SLI it still then? The card is only $140

Comment

From what I have read it only improves Synthetic benchmarks and not really games. Granted I have zero real experience with that, only from what I have read.

What games are you playing btw and what resolution? I am going to think the higher the resolution the more you will see a difference with SLI.

Comment

From what I have read it only improves Synthetic benchmarks and not really games. Granted I have zero real experience with that, only from what I have read.

What games are you playing btw and what resolution? I am going to think the higher the resolution the more you will see a difference with SLI.
                        Well the biggest deal is I wanna run dual monitors. The card has dual DVI out obviously, but Im not sure if that improves performance when running 2 (or 3) monitors. I mostly play Eve online which is getting more and more graphically intense, especially with the more shit that is going on. Also BFBC2 quite a bit

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                          Well the biggest deal is I wanna run dual monitors. The card has dual DVI out obviously, but Im not sure if that improves performance when running 2 (or 3) monitors. I mostly play Eve online which is getting more and more graphically intense, especially with the more shit that is going on. Also BFBC2 quite a bit
                          Yeah but you are not running EVE on 2 monitors though right?

Only ATI's Eyefinity can do that.

Comment

Yeah but you are not running EVE on 2 monitors though right?

Only ATI's Eyefinity can do that.
                            Yes I am, it can run it windowed

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                              Yes I am, it can run it windowed
                              Are you running 2 accounts at once?

Comment

Working...
                              X