No announcement yet.

Anyone here built a desktop Hackintosh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here built a desktop Hackintosh?

Just got my new WD Caviar Black 1TB hard-drive loaded up with Win7 HP 64 bit and was thinking about setting up a partition to try out Mac OS X Snow Leopard to see if I could get it up and running. Got a few questions if anyone has tried it.

we got a bunch at work, save yourself the hassle and spend the money on an efi-x.

and read the compatibility whitelist.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
      we got a bunch at work, save yourself the hassle and spend the money on an efi-x.

and read the compatibility whitelist.
      What are we looking for on the link?

Also interested in a Hackintosh and had a couple of buddies here at work who have done so. I know the hardware used has to be very specific to work 100% and you have to go by the list when choosing the components to buy.

Comment

Should have been the first thing that pops up on their page. But here's the link.

The reason we use this instead of Hackintosh iso's is because when updates come out, you can update day 1 and everything just fucking works. We originally did this in our company due to one guy ordering himself a Mac Pro and the total price (monitors + printer + etc...) came out to 17k.

We have a few lower end mac pro's (single proc xeon's/i7) but now we simply use EFI-X and can build a "high end" mac pro comparable desktop for around 1200 plus the cost of EFI. Just pay attention to the whitesheet.

Comment

The reason the efi-X setup is a no go for me is because I already have my system built the way I want it. My system appears to be from what I've been able to find anyway..pretty compatible.
          Asus P5Q-SE mobo
          Intel E6850 Core 2 Duo @ 3ghz
          4gb ram (the board can handle 16gb)
          1TB WD Caviar Black 7200rpm HDD
          Nvidia Geforce 210 1gb video (I read that most Nvidia Geforce cards would work)
          D-link DWL G520 wifi card (maybe)

I just dont know where to get the Bios from to get started.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
            Should have been the first thing that pops up on their page. But here's the link.

The reason we use this instead of Hackintosh iso's is because when updates come out, you can update day 1 and everything just fucking works. We originally did this in our company due to one guy ordering himself a Mac Pro and the total price (monitors + printer + etc...) came out to 17k.

We have a few lower end mac pro's (single proc xeon's/i7) but now we simply use EFI-X and can build a "high end" mac pro comparable desktop for around 1200 plus the cost of EFI. Just pay attention to the whitesheet.
            Link works. I'll have to read up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
              The reason the efi-X setup is a no go for me is because I already have my system built the way I want it. My system appears to be from what I've been able to find anyway..pretty compatible.
              Asus P5Q-SE mobo
              Intel E6850 Core 2 Duo @ 3ghz
              4gb ram (the board can handle 16gb)
              1TB WD Caviar Black 7200rpm HDD
              Nvidia Geforce 210 1gb video (I read that most Nvidia Geforce cards would work)
              D-link DWL G520 wifi card (maybe)

I just dont know where to get the Bios from to get started.
              Yeah, the pain of the problem is that you somewhat have to rely on the EFI-X as opposed to a hackintosh. However the extra cost is usually added into our builds here when we go "budget mac pro"

OSX is very worth it imo (but that's another topic for another thread).

Comment

Working...
              X