iPhone 3GS Jailbreak for 4.2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone 3GS Jailbreak for 4.2?

Anyone have any recommendations for the JB software? Don't really care if it's tethered or not as I really turn off my phone.

does your 3gs have the new bootrom?

fwiw, i'm jailbroken via redsnow right now, but it's tethered on the 3gs with the new bootrom and the 4. if it's the older bootrom, then it won't be tethered.

Comment

here's the link with instructions for redsnow:

The iPhone Dev Team has just released Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 today which brings first proper jailbreak, with working Cydia and MobileSubstrate for all iOS 4.2.1 devices.

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
        does your 3gs have the new bootrom?

fwiw, i'm jailbroken via redsnow right now, but it's tethered on the 3gs with the new bootrom and the 4. if it's the older bootrom, then it won't be tethered.
        How can I tell if I have an old bootrom or not?

Comment

Originally posted by bitter jose View Post
          I must have been asked this question a zillion times by now via email, twitter and on facebook on “how to check whether or not I have the new bootrom on my iPhone 3GS?”. Since it is very difficult, if not impossible for me to reply to each and everyone individually, I thought posting about it for everyone is the only option.

Comment

go to settings - about - and look at the model number...if it starts with "mc", then it's the new bootrom. (that's what i've read) it will tell you when you do the jailbreak, though. the jailbreak will work, either way, just know that it will be "tethered" if you have the new bootrom. so, if you ever turn it off, you'll need to boot it via redsnow...it's all pretty simple, so it's not a big deal. my iphone 4 is tethered, but it doesn't bother me at all...i just don't turn it off.

Comment

Dangit, MB not MC.

Comment

Just googled and found the same article. Guess I'll have to wait and check this at home.

Note: In both the cases above, it doesn’t matter whether your iPhone is an MB model or an MC model. As long as it has 359.3 bootrom, iPhone 3GS has the old bootrom, and if 359.3.2 or above then iPhone 3GS has the new bootrom.

Comment

Dangit, MB not MC.
                  that's good...you should have the old bootrom, which would mean that you can jailbreak untethered.

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
                    that's good...you should have the old bootrom, which would mean that you can jailbreak untethered.
                    What's a good Jailbreak software than for a 3GS and iOS 4.2? Anyone have a good link for Redsnow?

Comment

I used Limera1n for mine but mine is 4.0.2.

Comment

What's a good Jailbreak software than for a 3GS and iOS 4.2? Anyone have a good link for Redsnow?
                        the link that i put in post #3 should work great for you...it has the links to download the software as well as the ipsw file and the step by step instructions on how to jailbreak. it's a fairly quick and simple process.

Comment

damn...I'm still on 3.1.2..haha

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                            damn...I'm still on 3.1.2..haha
                            the only reason to upgrade would be that a lot of apps require 4.0+ now...i liked 3.1.2...

Comment

Only other app I want is Netflix. What's stupid is that it requires 3.1.3. Not gonna redo everything just to get that. I pretty much have all the apps except that one. I jb my 3gs 2nd day after I bought. Don't even know if I want 4.0+ on it at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X