lap timers & data acquisition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lap timers & data acquisition

what are you guys using for lap timers or data acquisition systems?

traqmate seems to be the big name. it has nice features such as lap by lap telemetry but it is:
    1. expensive
    2. more of a semi-permanent install with multiple sensors.

currently all i have is harry's laptimer app for the iphone and android. i also have trackmaster for my android.

i have used harry's in my evo, the team chump car, and when i have gone karting so i do like the versatility of the device. i ordered an external gps unit to get 10Hz to get a more accurate gps results. the only thing i don't like is the displays.

well, i came across this unit:

anyone know anything about it? i like that the unit is self contained, easily portable, waterproof and the display looks nice and simple. the software it comes with seems to offer nice lap analytics.
    www.hppmotorsports.com
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

I am using one of these$$$$$

I have also considered buying an AiM Solo for $399, if I didn't have my Racepak I'd have a Aim Solo, I have also used Harrys with iphone gps and external 5hz gps, both didn't have anything on a real system.

That unit looks cool, the real gem is the software that runs on your computer, thats where the data really becomes useful IMO unless the device has a great way of implementing it.
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
      I am using one of these$$$$$

I have also considered buying an AiM Solo for $399, if I didn't have my Racepak I'd have a Aim Solo, I have also used Harrys with iphone gps and external 5hz gps, both didn't have anything on a real system.

That unit looks cool, the real gem is the software that runs on your computer, thats where the data really becomes useful IMO unless the device has a great way of implementing it.
      the racepak is a fully integrated solution right? as in it is your instrument panel so it is wired to independent sensors or is it piggy-backed off your ECU?

yea harry's is good but it is always just going to be a lap timer (though he has added gopro video integration now). i think i want something that offers a bit more. the qstarz unit looks simple but then when you hook it up to the computer:

legit ANALYTICS!
      www.hppmotorsports.com
      ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by momo View Post
        the racepak is a fully integrated solution right? as in it is your instrument panel so it is wired to independent sensors or is it piggy-backed off your ECU?

yea harry's is good but it is always just going to be a lap timer (though he has added gopro video integration now). i think i want something that offers a bit more. the qstarz unit looks simple but then when you hook it up to the computer:

legit ANALYTICS!
        http://racing.qstarz.com/Products/Qracing.html
        You can integrate the racepak with your ecu and/or separate sensors, right now I have a 4 channel universal sensor module that I have some pressure and temp sensors run into + rpm + GPS + Gyro, gives me pretty much everything I need for the time being. My lap times with the racepak are usually within 1/20sec of the transponder times. IE,
        Transponder 1.59.02
        Racepak 1.59.06
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

F* it. i'll be the guinea pig. i cancelled my order for the external gps and ordered the qstarz unit.

i'll give a review once i get it and test it out.
          Last edited by momo; 12-04-2013, 02:59 PM.
          www.hppmotorsports.com
          ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

F* it. i'll be the guinea pig. i cancelled my order for the external gps and ordered the qstarz unit.

i'll give a review once i get it and test it out.
            kick ass, what was the total cost?

Comment

kick ass, what was the total cost?
              Bought it on amazon. total was $399.00. no tax, since it's sold by some other company but still got free 2 day prime shipping since it's fulfilled by amazon.

shit, i'd pay for amazon drone delivery if it was available.
              www.hppmotorsports.com
              ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Bought it on amazon. total was $399.00. no tax, since it's sold by some other company but still got free 2 day prime shipping since it's fulfilled by amazon.

shit, i'd pay for amazon drone delivery if it was available.
                hah cool, if you want to toss it in my car for a session to see how it matches my racepak, let me know.

Comment

hah cool, if you want to toss it in my car for a session to see how it matches my racepak, let me know.
                  yea absolutely... then i will steal your lines and braking points! muhahaha.
                  www.hppmotorsports.com
                  ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

That's a good idea, if you wanna go slow like me!

Comment

put your all-terrain's on.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

We have an instructor buddy that has the Qstarz and likes it a lot. Only drawback is not much to compare laps to at Texas tracks like there is with Traqmate.

We recently got the traqmate with go pro control and it rocks. No better solution for comparing data from session to session and driver to driver. Also the most accurate track maps and start/finish coordinates.

Harry's is great for lap times, but the s/f is usually off. I'm liking our Traqmate but yes, the entry price is steep. We got ours used and bought the auxillary stuff and upgraded firmware for free.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                          We have an instructor buddy that has the Qstarz and likes it a lot. Only drawback is not much to compare laps to at Texas tracks like there is with Traqmate.

We recently got the traqmate with go pro control and it rocks. No better solution for comparing data from session to session and driver to driver. Also the most accurate track maps and start/finish coordinates.

Harry's is great for lap times, but the s/f is usually off. I'm liking our Traqmate but yes, the entry price is steep. We got ours used and bought the auxillary stuff and upgraded firmware for free.
                          thanks matt! i figured the biggest downside of qstarz anything would be lack of other users.

do you have any experience/opinions about the aim solo at all?

traqmate would be great. one day if have a race car. i actually want this device for karting just as much as for the car so the portable all in one unit is a nice feature.
                          www.hppmotorsports.com
                          ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            put your all-terrain's on.

Comment

thanks matt! i figured the biggest downside of qstarz anything would be lack of other users.

do you have any experience/opinions about the aim solo at all?

traqmate would be great. one day if have a race car. i actually want this device for karting just as much as for the car so the portable all in one unit is a nice feature.
                              I have not used the Aim Solo primarily because I have not been impressed with their product support in the past. Too "engineer" like. Traqmate is about as simple as it gets for setup and manipulating data blocks. It will also control your GoPro via a cable which is sort of nice, but I am having issues with syncing the video with the data when making an in-car video. Seems there is a software issue at the moment and I am not patient enough to figure it out right now with all the crap I have up in the air. For the most part, I like being able to overlay data for my sessions and my wife's sessions to help with my coaching. It helps us focus on where to help her find time quickly. Then if we want, we can go into deep detail with the track map finding lines and braking points.

I used a G2X once. ONCE. and sold it about 1 hour after I yanked it from the car. Software was terrible. That was 3 years ago so maybe they got better but I don't recommend it.

Qstarz is supposed to be great for getting data and is very portable and the right price. Post some feedback after you use it. I'm thinking about starting to do some advanced coaching in 2014 and might use the qstarz if it's simple enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X