Track Taliban on the iPhone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Taliban on the iPhone

An iPhone app that tracks down the Taliban has been developed by a U.S. soldier -- who put $26,000 of his own money into the project.

The idea for a smartphone application to assist soldiers in combat came to Capt. Jonathan J. Springer in a dream last July, he said Monday. The 31-year-old, from Fort Wayne, Ind., has worked with programmers ever since to make the idea a reality.

Tactical Nav, which is expected to be available through Apple’s App Store next month, assists soldiers in mapping, plotting and photographing waypoints on a battleground and conveying coordinates to supporting units.

Springer used a variety of armored vehicles, remote observation posts and harsh combat conditions to test the accuracy of his invention, which can also be used to direct artillery fire on enemy positions or call in helicopter support.

Springer, who serves as a battalion fire support officer in eastern Afghanistan, said most soldiers use smartphones and the app has been designed specifically for them.

“Since day one, I always believed that smartphones could be utilized by the U.S. military for combat purposes,” he said.

“Basically, the issue was the fact that these smartphones were being untapped by the army and I was motivated and determined to change that, even if it cost me my own money out of pocket to do so,” he added.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

That is fucking bad!
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
      That is fucking bad!
      ...yeah but directing 105mm artillery fire using an iphone app? You better fucking hope that shit is accurate, you're trusting your life with it. I can't believe the military would allow that to be used in the field.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Notice - not a lot of REAL details? Security, what exactly they'll use it for, how it'll be used and so forth.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

All the phones have GPS and most likey the app lets you manually put in GPS coordinates. (where the bad guys are) Similar to the apps that help you find your car in a parking lot. It said pictures too, so most likey utilized geotagging as well. So everyone with the app knows the general area bad guys are. They most likey have studied maps of the battle ground and can feed somewhat accurate information manually into the system. (not physically needing a GPS device at the location of the taliban in this case.)

Security would be the biggest concern. If a device or data stream to a device was compromised, that could give the enemy information they should not have.
          WRX

Comment

That exists already, has for several years...

Comment

From my understanding. It would take patrols to find predesignated fighting positions and indirect fire launch sites. Each 10dig MNGRS is cached into the phone along with all your OPs, FBs etc. When you take fire this just allows you to pull up the 10digit to direct air and artillery.

Finding or "tracking" Talibs movement with THIS is not gonna happen. Now if you can use the iPhone to track their cell phones (that are not GPS enabled) or their radios that would work but you are not going to get clearance to throw 155s at a cell phone signal. No commander is ever going to sign off on that.

Cool app though and I need to break out my maps and see where 42s XD 73758 73209 is.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                That exists already, has for several years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhance...porting_System
                Yes but the news here is an iphone app.
                WRX

Comment

I guess I can just see a 10001 reason not to use an iPhone after R&D into other systems is already complete.

Plus, it's one of the jobs I did when enlisted and it would piss me off for an iPhone to replace it.

I can see it now, tankers already can't drive for shit. Much-less when staring at an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    it's one of the jobs I did when enlisted
                    That's pretty awesome. Part of a project I am working at the moment is securing an iphone app. I agree they should use hardware and software specifically for this purpose. No matter how secure they make that software, they have no control over the hardware and middle ware and the middle ware is where I would attack that application. The layers of security they would have to put on top that that app IMO would lose the quick easy functionality that drove them to create it in the first place.
                    WRX

Comment

Yup, military applications are just that. Usually created from scratch which is part of the greatness and the suckiness.

Although, I remember an article when I was in Bosnia about US Soldiers deployed. They'd by pass the use of the SINCGARS radios in lieu of standard Motorola units. (Either PX bought or commercial) Easier, more reliable and so forth.

Anything military will have crypto and crypto generally means a PITA a lot of times.

Comment

Working...
                      X