McNabb agrees five-year, $88 million extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McNabb agrees five-year, $88 million extension

The Washington Redskins and quarterback Donovan McNabb have agreed to five-year contract extension, reports NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora, citing a league source.

The deal, which locks in McNabb until 2015, includes $40 million guaranteed and could be worth up to a maximum of $88 million, including $10 million in incentives. The deal averages $15.5 million per season, according to the source.

McNabb's agent, Fletcher Smith, confirmed the deal to the Washington Post.

"We're very happy about the situation," Smith said. "We've been working on this for a while now, and we're obviously glad to get it done. Donovan's very happy about the situation because this is where he wanted to be all along."

McNabb was traded to the Redskins from the Philadelphia Eagles on April 4.

The extension comes just two weeks after Redskins coach Mike Shanahan benched McNabb for the final two possessions of the Redskins' 37-25 loss to the Detroit Lions on Oct. 31. Shanahan said Rex Grossman was more comfortable with the team's 2-minute offense.

Through eight games this season, McNabb, a six-time Pro Bowler, has posted a 76.0 passer rating -- his lowest since 1999 when Philadelphia drafted him No. 2 overall and he started six games. He has seven touchdowns, eight inteceptions to go with 1,971 passing yards.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

But....

Why?

Comment

Good question.... I'm glad it happened though! Redskins need someone like McNabb in the locker room and on the field.

Comment

NFL sux

Comment

I have to wonder, why? Shanny benched him. Why would you sign a 5 yr deal with a player you have problems with on, and off the field? And that much $$. Really? This move doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, Snyder's moves never make sense to me.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I was just watching this, they said 78mill, just sayin.
            Ded

Comment

Originally posted by vadertt
              I was just watching this, they said 78mill, just sayin.
              Does it really matter? The 40 million up front is what is CRAZY. I see Mcnabb as a guy with a year or two left, that is including this year.

It just seems really stupid.

Comment

While i love my Skins, thats just a tad too much. He might have 2 decent years left, after that, he's backup material. I guess if he thinks Farve can do it, so can he. And also, if Haynesworth can do it and get away with it, why not him too?

Comment

Dear god. What a waste. He's already past his prime and they made him a deal for 5 more? Shannahan is bigger idiot than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86
                    Does it really matter? The 40 million up front is what is CRAZY. I see Mcnabb as a guy with a year or two left, that is including this year.

It just seems really stupid.
                    10mil is a big difference to me, lol.

imo, the're paying for the name.
                    Ded

Comment

ESPN has an article up on it... if Washington cuts him after this season, they are only on the hook for 3.75 mill

Comment

I wonder what Snyder thinks now after that drubbing last night? "WTF have I done?" If they can cut their losses after the season to less than $4 mil, I bet that happens.

Oh, and here's the story - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp
                        Rachel McAdams nude pics

Comment

Originally posted by clevelandkid View Post
                          ESPN has an article up on it... if Washington cuts him after this season, they are only on the hook for 3.75 mill
                          He is still guaranteed $40 million.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                            He is still guaranteed $40 million.
                            No, only $3.75 million if he is released.

Comment

For a has been that really never was??

Comment

Working...
                              X