Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a house, what direction do we want it built in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a house, what direction do we want it built in?

Obviously build the walls up, blah blah, no jokes.

We go to sign the contract on our house on 2/15. We are going to pick our lot out in the next 2 weeks and want to know what the best possible setup is. The insulation in these houses is insane, but still want to help with as little summer sun dominating the house as we can.

Brent
    www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Limit windows on the south side of the house unless you have large shade trees. This is where you get the most sun. Design or orient the placement of the house appropriately. Drainage is another concern. Be cautious of lots with large drainage ditches. Also lots where the house foundation will be below the elevation of the road.

Comment

make sure it has a huge garage......i think my dream house will have a garage thats eqaul the sq ft of the house, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Counterfiend View Post
        Obviously build the walls up, blah blah, no jokes.

We go to sign the contract on our house on 2/15. We are going to pick our lot out in the next 2 weeks and want to know what the best possible setup is. The insulation in these houses is insane, but still want to help with as little summer sun dominating the house as we can.

Brent
        Who is the builder?

Comment

The main consideration in direction is Windows. You want the side of the house with the most Square Footage of Glazing (glass) to face North. And least area to face west, southwest, and south . . . in that order.

Notice my emphasis on square footage. It's not the numbers of windows, but how much surface area that is letting in the thermal heat. You could have 10 windows on one side of the house, and 7 on the other side. But you've really got 70 sq.ft. with the 10 windows and 95 sq.ft. with the 7. The side with the 7 windows is worse.

Second consideration is square footage of exterior walls and more importantly square footage of walls exposed to the attic space (usually applies to 2 story houses).

Third consideration if building a two story: DON'T PUT ROOMS OVER GARAGES!!! IMPO that is the dumbest design idea ever.

Comment

Do NOT have the front of the house face west!

Comment

Originally posted by Who Needs 8 View Post
              The main consideration in direction is Windows. You want the side of the house with the most Square Footage of Glazing (glass) to face North. And least area to face west, southwest, and south . . . in that order.

Notice my emphasis on square footage. It's not the numbers of windows, but how much surface area that is letting in the thermal heat. You could have 10 windows on one side of the house, and 7 on the other side. But you've really got 70 sq.ft. with the 10 windows and 95 sq.ft. with the 7. The side with the 7 windows is worse.

Second consideration is square footage of exterior walls and more importantly square footage of walls exposed to the attic space (usually applies to 2 story houses).

Third consideration if building a two story: DON'T PUT ROOMS OVER GARAGES!!! IMPO that is the dumbest design idea ever.

Maybe I'm just not really awake yet, but what is the issue with this?

Comment

Originally posted by wildone View Post
                make sure it has a huge garage......i think my dream house will have a garage thats eqaul the sq ft of the house, lol
                Too close to the wife with it being attached to the house. I'd keep the garage simple and build a nice shop beside it or behind it, depending on how the house is situated and how much real estate there is.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                  Who is the builder?
                  Are you an independent builder/owner or do you work for a company? Been meaning to ask, just kept forgetting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                    Are you an independent builder/owner or do you work for a company? Been meaning to ask, just kept forgetting.
                    Strictly custom. Advice is free, though few on this site ever take it. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                      Maybe I'm just not really awake yet, but what is the issue with this?
                      From my experience it's an insulation issue. My media/game room is directly above my garage and that room suffers from serious temperature differential than all other upstairs rooms. We keep it closed and shut off unless we know we are going to be using it.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamLX View Post
                        From my experience it's an insulation issue. My media/game room is directly above my garage and that room suffers from serious temperature differential than all other upstairs rooms. We keep it closed and shut off unless we know we are going to be using it.
                        If done properly, a room over a garage should not be an issue. The key is in the flooring and how it is insulated.

Comment

The key is in the flooring and how it is insulated.
                          That's where I was going with it. Ours is an Ashton Woods built back in '02 and we already knew the floor was going to be an issue when just toured the house.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamLX View Post
                            I see. I was just wondering because the wife and I have been contemplating building new and several of the plans we have seen have some kind of bonus or media room above, or partially above, the garage.

Comment

Strictly custom. Advice is free, though few on this site ever take it. LOL!
                              Ah, I see. Well if you want, PM your contact info, the wife and I are contemplating building.

Comment

Working...
                              X