White House to Push Gun Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White House to Push Gun Control

Obama intentionally did not mention gun control in his State of the Union, but aides say that in the next two weeks the administration will unveil a campaign to get Congress to toughen existing laws.

At the beginning of his State of the Union address, President Obama tipped his hat to Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who’s now recuperating in a Houston medical facility. But throughout the hourlong speech, he never addressed the issue at the core of the Giffords tragedy—gun control—and what lawmakers would, or should, do to reform American firearm-access laws.

That was intentional, according to the White House. An administration official says Obama didn’t mention guns in his speech because of the omnipresent controversy surrounding the Second Amendment and gun control. Tuesday’s speech was designed to be more about the economy and how, as Obama repeated nine times, the U.S. could “win the future.”

But in the next two weeks, the White House will unveil a new gun-control effort in which it will urge Congress to strengthen current laws, which now allow some mentally unstable people, such as alleged Arizona shooter Jared Loughner, to obtain certain assault weapons, in some cases without even a background check.

Tuesday night after the speech, Obama adviser David Plouffe said to NBC News that the president would not let the moment after the Arizona shootings pass without pushing for some change in the law, to prevent another similar incident. “It’s a very important issue, and one I know there’s going to be debate about on the Hill.”

The White House said that to avoid being accused of capitalizing on the Arizona shootings for political gain, Obama will address the gun issue in a separate speech, likely early next month. He’s also expected to use Arizona as a starting point, but make the case that America’s gun laws have been too loose for much longer than just the past few weeks.

As the White House prepares its strategy, several gun-policy groups are saying they were burned by the lack of any mention of guns in the president’s highest-profile speech of the year. “President Obama tonight failed to challenge old assumptions on the need for, and political possibilities of, reducing the gun violence—which he suggested should be done two weeks ago in Tucson,” said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the nation’s largest gun-safety group. No group said it had been consulted by the White House regarding legislative suggestions.

Meanwhile, the National Rifle Association has stayed largely silent following the Arizona shootings. Asked about a specialized White House effort on guns, a spokesman for the powerful gun lobby declined to comment.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

LOL @ the Brady Campaign being a gun-safety organization
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Remember Obama saying he had no interest in gun control before he was elected?
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
        Remember Obama saying he had no interest in gun control before he was elected?
        ....he lied!
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

This circumvention of the Constitution is getting way out of hand. Eventually it will be labeled archaic and tossed to the side..while nobody notices. I need to get my AK and some mags before they start up the nanny machine again.

Comment

knee jerk reaction...dont see it happening though

Comment

Well this sucks.
              Originally posted by lincolnboy
              After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                ....he lied!
                He lied about everything. Everything he said he was going to do he lied and has not done it. His "hope for change"? All lies. So that leaves us to the things he said he would NOT do. Which means he is going to do what exactly?

DO THEM!
                (It's opposite day!)

Id be careful right about now, I will leave $1000 in my bank just in case I need to buy 12 AR lowers.
                First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

let em try, wont work this time
                  will sell hella guns though probably, at a minimum a LOT of handgun mags

Comment

What sucks is the lies are in the commitments these people make during the elections. It's just that the average person seems to WANT to believe the lies.

This is why I think ammo is the best investment. Even if the world does not end, if you pay a quarter for a bullet today it'll probably be worth a dollar soon.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                    X