Utah CHL holders - Utah SB36 to require home state CHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah CHL holders - Utah SB36 to require home state CHL

SB36 » A bill that would require nonstate residents to obtain concealed weapons permits from their home states before obtaining one in Utah passed through committee unanimously Tuesday.

The proposal by Sen. John Valentine, R-Orem, came as a result of complaints by holders that some states — namely New Mexico and Nevada — weren’t recognizing Utah’s concealed weapons permit and Valentine said he was troubled by the lack of reciprocity when Utah would recognize their permits.

He said the states complained Utah’s permit doesn’t require “proficiency” but he said he believed that reasoning was a “ruse” by the neighboring states.

Valentine said the neighboring states are losing licensing revenue when residents of those states purchase guns and license them in Utah and then bring them back to their home states. SB36, he said, would require them to get the license in their home state before Utah would issue one to them.

Valentine said he had the backing of the National Rifle Association on his proposed measure, which will now go to the Senate floor.

Hmm...I'm going to contact my Utah BCI instructor and the Utah BCI. See if this will affect existing UTAH CHL holders, if it passes into law.
    Last edited by LS1Goat; 01-28-2011, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
      Hmm...I'm going to contact my Utah BCI instructor and the Utah BCI. See this will affect existing UTAH CHL holders, if it passes into law.
      It says in the bill that it will affect renewals....at least Utah is 5 years....

Comment

Working...
      X