SN 95 vs Fox alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SN 95 vs Fox alternator

Are there any physical dimension differences?
    I have some badass fabricated alum valve covers but the passenger side hits the alternator. To make it work I will need to cut the end plate back a half inch and angle it towards the top about 15 degs. The place who makes them says the fit the fox just fine. I am wondering if the alternator is different or if the pulley system is just closer to the block maybe?

Originally posted by lilvega
    Are there any physical dimension differences?
    I have some badass fabricated alum valve covers but the passenger side hits the alternator. To make it work I will need to cut the end plate back a half inch and angle it towards the top about 15 degs. The place who makes them says the fit the fox just fine. I am wondering if the alternator is different or if the pulley system is just closer to the block maybe?
    Here's a picture of the engine bay of my car with the 3G SN alternator.

Let me know if you need any better pictures. It seems to fit just fine, but I have steel valve covers on my car.

-Aaron

Comment

oops,
      Forgot I hadn't setup my sig yet. I have a 94 GT. I am really wondering if I fit a Fox body alternator on my car if I would have more clearance. The SN alternator seems pretty large and I am hoping the Fox isn't as deep.

Comment

It does look like your waterpump/pulley setup if farther from the face of the block compared to mine. Maybe just the picture tho.

Comment

Ah ok. Well I don't know what to tell you on that one then ! LOL !!

-Aaron

Comment

When i see "fox alternator" i think FIRE. I've had one catch on fire, and i know that several other people have also been on fire with their 2g alts. It's not pleasant. It's that piss ass large black plug in connector that's to blame.

I can't tell about your particular setup; i do know that if you are using a stock fox body alt bracket it has to be trimmed just a bit for clearance.

Comment

I hope this helps. I did mine and the clearancing (1992 GT) was minimal.

Comment

The Fox alternator is shallower and should fit.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                  When i see "fox alternator" i think FIRE. I've had one catch on fire, and i know that several other people have also been on fire with their 2g alts. It's not pleasant. It's that piss ass large black plug in connector that's to blame.

I can't tell about your particular setup; i do know that if you are using a stock fox body alt bracket it has to be trimmed just a bit for clearance.
                  This.

There's a reason they give you a new replacement plug whenever you get a new STOCK alternator.

The 3G is a MUCH better replacement on a Fox. Especially when you've added electric fans, fuel pumps, electronics etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X