Tire Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Question

So I think it is time for new tires on the bike.

The tread on the back as well as front tire is just now starting to hit the "marker" on the tread. That is on the flat spot, the outer part of the tire looks like it has full tread ie tons of tread.

Now my question is, since the flat part of the tire is hitting the indicator do I have a few more days of riding or should I play it safe and buy tires?

I don't really want to drop $400 on new tires only to sell it in another month or two for Spring.

If I decide to go with new tires, what tires should I get and is there a shop around here that I will change the tires for me (I don't have the tools to change them).

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Go with some shinkos if you want cheap. I personally never ran anything but pilot powers on any of my bikes. When it comes to tires on motorcycles, I never wanted to go the cheap route.
    Owner of Titan Towing

We have your towing needs covered!
    http://www.titantowing.net
    -------------------------------

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here to become a paid member!

Comment

lean that bike over a bit more!

I think DFW honda is kind of by you in grapevine. I rode on my rear for months with the indicator bar showing. with your riding, you'll be fine for a few more months.

but ya, you can get a shinko 009 for $90 off bike bandit. It's a decent, cheap, harder compound tire.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
        lean that bike over a bit more!

I think DFW honda is kind of by you in grapevine. I rode on my rear for months with the indicator bar showing. with your riding, you'll be fine for a few more months.

but ya, you can get a shinko 009 for $90 off bike bandit. It's a decent, cheap, harder compound tire.
        That is what I figured but someone who I shall remain nameless put a bug in my head of my tire blowing out. When he said that I got all paranoid and drove the speed limit home. lol I am not trying to put the tire to its limit at all, but there is still tread on the center part of the tire, its not as if it were completely bald.

Now when and if I decide to get new ties, should I change both, and if I do should they be the same make/model? That may be a stupid question but if I bought hem at different times then that may happen. I just don't know if that can affect the handling of a bike with a harder or softer tire on front/back.
        Last edited by 347Mike; 01-28-2011, 10:58 AM.
        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Bike Bandit has pretty cheap tires ie Michelin Pilots - cheaper than anywhere else I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
            That is what I figured but someone who I shall remain nameless put a bug in my head of my tire blowing out. When he said that I got all paranoid and drove the speed limit home. lol I am not trying to put the tire to its limit at all, but there is still tread on the center part of the tire, its not as if it were completely bald.

Now when and if I decide to get new ties, should I change both, and if I do should they be the same make/model? That may be a stupid question but if I bought hem at different times then that may happen. I just don't know if that can affect the handling of a bike with a harder or softer tire on front/back.
            skid? lol. fresh tires are always nice, but i know people who run nothing but race takeoffs on the street.

post a pic if you can.

mix and match is fine, just make sure theyre both the same kind of tire. I.E, radial, etc...

I like a harder compound tire on the back, and a stickier one up front for the street. If the front still has tread, ride it out.

Comment

Not me!

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                skid? lol. fresh tires are always nice, but i know people who run nothing but race takeoffs on the street.

post a pic if you can.

mix and match is fine, just make sure theyre both the same kind of tire. I.E, radial, etc...

I like a harder compound tire on the back, and a stickier one up front for the street. If the front still has tread, ride it out.
                I will post a picture tonight in time for tomorrow!

Comment

No pictures but they are pretty low after a closer look. The center part of the treat tapers from one end of the tread to the other. (if that makes sense).

There is a part that is pretty good tread wear but the end part is almost flush with the tire itself (bad).

I found a set (front and rear) of Michelin Pilots CT2 for 110 bucks one has 70% tread the other 85%.

Comment

Working...
                  X