No announcement yet.

Insulation Pro's(New home construction)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation Pro's(New home construction)

Looking through all the insulation and energy efficiency stuff and I have no clue what I'm looking at. Here are some things that are listed and I guess I'm just wondering if they are essentially "builder grade" or if it is worth a shit, etc.

Wall insulation - Fiberglass batt R-13 & R-22

Attic insulation - Blown fiberglass R-38

Exterior doors, exterior base plate, pipe, & wiring holes in walls/ceiling - Polyseal foam sealant

Carrier 14.5 Seer heat & A/C units (Natural gas heat)

Low-E energy efficient windows (no brand or model numbers given)

Also, is 7/16" OSB standard these days for subflooring? What about 3/8" carpet pad?

Thanks for any tips and/or advise.

Everything listed is pretty much required to meet most city codes, and will probably meet "Energy Star" requirements. The windows need to be vinyl and finding a manufacturer should be as simple as asking. Production builders use the same supplier for all their houses. The lower the rating numbers on windows, the better, unlike R-factors for insulation (which is better the higher the number).

Comment

You know what, it actually does say vinyl windows on all of them, they just have it listed in another column and I overlooked it.

What about the 7/16" OSB? I have been told by afriend of mine that works for a builder up north that I shouldn't settle for less than 3/4" plywood for subflooring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
        You know what, it actually does say vinyl windows on all of them, they just have it listed in another column and I overlooked it.

What about the 7/16" OSB? I have been told by afriend of mine that works for a builder up north that I shouldn't settle for less than 3/4" plywood for subflooring.
        I'm not a big fan of OSB, because as soon as water hits it, it begins disintigrating. Try to hold out for 1/2" anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X