Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Household paint overspray on car - Claybar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Household paint overspray on car - Claybar?

There are little white specks all over my car. I think the neighbors painters got me while cleaning out their spray rig. (This was a while ago, I'm past the pissed off stage and just need it fixed.)

I tried a cleaner wax I had handy just to see what it would do, didn't help much. A guy at a local car wash cleaned a small spot with some chemical that took it right off. Didn't say what it was, just wanted $500 to fix it.

Is claybar the right tool for this job, or is there something that may do it easier?

I appreciate any help you guys could offer.
    Last edited by slow06; 05-03-2014, 03:04 PM.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

I am also reading that lacquer thinner may do the trick? A little nervous about using that on my paint.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Comment

lacquer thinner won't mess with catalyzed urethane paint. But don't rub it in forever, and rinse when done. It will strip any wax completely off.

Comment

Claybar and I do not envy you at all. Long tedious process.

Comment

I'd try some bug and tar remover. I had a shit-load of tar on my car and thought it was just mud or shit, and left it on for like 3 months. When I finally washed the car and figured out WTH it was, it didn't wanna come off for shit. Went to Autozone and got a spray can, and that shit practically ran off the car as the spray ran down. Took very little work to remove it. It was like $6 a can, may be worth a shot.

I think this was it. The name was crack'en me up when I got it.

Comment

Contact the paint company for new paint job. Got some on my truck years ago. Still there cause that stuff is a bitch to remove.

Comment

Lots of methods to get this off. Some safe, some not as safe. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Comment

I would start with your thumb nail.

Comment

Probably wasn't a good move but I did try to scrape off a spec of two with my thumb at first just to see how stuck on it was.

I tried claybar, didn't do a darn thing to the white specks. Same for Goo Gone.

I tried lacquer thinner really conservatively (small amount on a rag and didn't rub very hard), it worked alright.

I was selling the car anyway, so the debate was whether to clean it up and sell it, or tell the buyer and chance them walking away.

Knowing I really didn't want to clean the whole thing a few square inches at a time I chanced it and they didn't see worried about it at all.

Thanks for the help, If this ever happens again I will be prepared.

Comment

Same shit happend to my 03 few years ago, I used diesel fuel. It took it right off just gotta re: polish/wax.
                    sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                    🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

When that happened to me I used 3m Adhesive Remover. Wiped it right off.

Comment

Working...
                      X