Home Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Automation

How many of y'all have done any of this? I know Jluv has done some little things, but who else?

Any good forums or sites I need to check out?
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

We use Lutron for a lot of our stuff... we can tie into existing systems, and the guys that do our programming really like their integration systems.

Lutron offers a wide selection of energy saving smart dimmers and lighting control solutions.

Comment

I am Lutron certified programmer/installer as well as AMX and Crestron. I am no longer in the field due to our current economy. I can tell you that Kyle(username thiscat2000) has an account for Lutron as well as he and his step dad program some of the most complex and expensive systems in Highland park north dallas. Hit him up when you want to get serious on a setup.

Comment

Anyone else have any input? I'm more of a do it yourselfer.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Anyone else have any input? I'm more of a do it yourselfer.
          Brian I am Kyle (thiscat2000) from the other site couldn't log in here for some reason so I made a new account. What exactly are you trying to setup and I will see if I can help you sort it out or get parts. LMK

Comment

Originally posted by wiredconcepts View Post
            Brian I am Kyle (thiscat2000) from the other site couldn't log in here for some reason so I made a new account. What exactly are you trying to setup and I will see if I can help you sort it out or get parts. LMK
            I don't know shit about it, really. That's why I was looking for some informative websites.

I'd really like to know how far you can take it. I know you can do lights, etc, and program it all through a logitech remote, but what else can you connect/run from a remote like that? I know TXU has a relatively new thermostat you can control online, is there anything else like that available to the general market? I'm not a TXU customer, and don't want to become one, either. What about gas valves? I think it would be pretty kickass to start a fire before I ever get home.

I'm an electronics nerd, so this whole automation thing intrigues me, and I'd have to think with the way technology is going, it's got to be nearly endless possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              I don't know shit about it, really. That's why I was looking for some informative websites.

I'd really like to know how far you can take it. I know you can do lights, etc, and program it all through a logitech remote, but what else can you connect/run from a remote like that? I know TXU has a relatively new thermostat you can control online, is there anything else like that available to the general market? I'm not a TXU customer, and don't want to become one, either. What about gas valves? I think it would be pretty kickass to start a fire before I ever get home.

I'm an electronics nerd, so this whole automation thing intrigues me, and I'd have to think with the way technology is going, it's got to be nearly endless possibilities.
              Google....AMX, Crestron, Control 4, Xantech etc for the more intense home automation

Comment

Crestron or Lutron are the big boys on the block pretty much the rest of it is so-so at best and down right useless at worst that I have used. There are exceptions to this but not many. Absolutely stay away from X10 it is pure horse shit. The only real place with actual info on programming and such is www.avsforum.com. You might be able to find an older Lutron graphik eye system or similar. Probably the cheapest system that actually works is control4 but it is pretty iffy in my opinion and I am pretty sure brad 2k2ls1 would agree compared to the others out there.

Comment

BTW look around on lutron.com and crestron.com and to see just what is capable with this stuff. You can turn on and off or control anything in the house from an ipod touch, iphone, ipad, droid any of that chit.

Comment

The real question is what do you want to do? A few of the simple things might be something like.

HVAC (Remote or otherwise)
                    Window Shades/blinds and window control based on solar and tempture activity
                    Radiant floor heat based on concrete slab temp or floor temp
                    Garage door status and open/close (Remote or otherwise)
                    Door lock status and lock/unlock (Remote or otherwise)
                    Shower on/off and temp control
                    Lighting control based on time of day, solar and house activity
                    Intensity of lighting based on time of day, solar and house activity
                    Alarm activity and home traffic during per personal set monitoring hours with email or text notification
                    Ceiling fan control based temperature, solar and motion activity
                    Door bell based video switching for video to your TV
                    Whole house audio control including volume
                    Whole house video/audio controlling
                    Pool/spa pump/temp control
                    Water feature relay controls
                    Full Gas fireplace control
                    Gas lamp control
                    Outdoor accent lighting control

Most if not all items could be based on solar, date/time, and activity (motion) with the right programming and sensors.

For instance if the weather is 70 degrees and it's sunny on one side of the house you might turn off the heat/ac draw the blinds and open some vent windows and kick on the ceiling fans. How about turn off the electrical outlets in the bathroom when your wife leaves on the flat iron. Simple monitor the motion in the room and the time of day them simply switch off outlets.

I'm partial to Crestron since we sell it and I program it.
                    sigpic

Comment

All you need to fully automate every sq. inch of your home right here, cheap too!

Comment

Id just go with some zwave stuff and a good program like MiCasa Verde or Home Seer

Comment

Originally posted by mustang1200 View Post
                          The real question is what do you want to do? A few of the simple things might be something like.

HVAC (Remote or otherwise)
                          Window Shades/blinds and window control based on solar and tempture activity
                          Radiant floor heat based on concrete slab temp or floor temp
                          Garage door status and open/close (Remote or otherwise)
                          Door lock status and lock/unlock (Remote or otherwise)
                          Shower on/off and temp control
                          Lighting control based on time of day, solar and house activity
                          Intensity of lighting based on time of day, solar and house activity
                          Alarm activity and home traffic during per personal set monitoring hours with email or text notification
                          Ceiling fan control based temperature, solar and motion activity
                          Door bell based video switching for video to your TV
                          Whole house audio control including volume
                          Whole house video/audio controlling
                          Pool/spa pump/temp control
                          Water feature relay controls
                          Full Gas fireplace control
                          Gas lamp control
                          Outdoor accent lighting control

Most if not all items could be based on solar, date/time, and activity (motion) with the right programming and sensors.

For instance if the weather is 70 degrees and it's sunny on one side of the house you might turn off the heat/ac draw the blinds and open some vent windows and kick on the ceiling fans. How about turn off the electrical outlets in the bathroom when your wife leaves on the flat iron. Simple monitor the motion in the room and the time of day them simply switch off outlets.

I'm partial to Crestron since we sell it and I program it.
                          Who do you work for?

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
                            Who do you work for?
                            Taurus Technologies Inc.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mustang1200 View Post
                              Taurus Technologies Inc.
                              are ya'll direct competitors with SKC Communications?

Comment

Working...
                              X