Wrangler with collision damage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrangler with collision damage question

Passed a dealership today and saw a jeep I was interested in, was told there was no accident, clean carfax etc. Upon closer inspection I found this behind the left side of the front bumper:

The other side looked fine and not pushed in from what I could see. No damage to the front bumper. Obviously I'm
    Not buying this thing, especially not at market value, however I'm
    Just curious; how hard would something like this be to fix? It looked to me like it was part of the main frame assembly. Would that even matter if I were to go with bully bars or aftermarket bumper?

What year wrangler are we talking about? Doesn't look like a TJ, I'm going to assume a JK. Best thing to check on jeeps is to make sure the tub and chassis is square. Easiest way to do that is stand in front of it a few week away and compare fender heights, check panel gaps at the hood, and most importantly, hood to grill, that's usually a dead giveaway.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Sorry, It's a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited. Onlyn21k on it too, was pretty disappointed to see this. Yeah I didn't even think to do that, gonna start now lol. I'll
      Be back in that area tomorrow

Comment

Honestly it looks like it was hit with a torch. I wonder if it had aftermarket bumpers on it or something.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          Honestly it looks like it was hit with a torch. I wonder if it had aftermarket bumpers on it or something.
          Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. The other side looks completely normal and squared off. Looked to me like maybe it was bent in and they cut it to been back out? I think the dealer got
          Fucked on a trade in and now they are trying to offload quick

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
            Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. The other side looks completely normal and squared off. Looked to me like maybe it was bent in and they cut it to been back out? I think the dealer got
            Fucked on a trade in and now they are trying to offload quick
            yeah because it looks like it was torn trying to be pulled out. Who knows. As long as the frame isn't damaged I wouldn't be too worried.

Comment

yeah because it looks like it was torn trying to be pulled out. Who knows. As long as the frame isn't damaged I wouldn't be too worried.

Yeah nothing behind that immidiate area looked damaged and the opposing side looked completely fine. But I'm not paying the asking price for that, and if I'm spending that much money on a vehicle I'd like it pristine. Was pretty bummed, I thought she was the one :-( lol

Comment

What year wrangler are we talking about? Doesn't look like a TJ, I'm going to assume a JK. Best thing to check on jeeps is to make sure the tub and chassis is square. Easiest way to do that is stand in front of it a few week away and compare fender heights, check panel gaps at the hood, and most importantly, hood to grill, that's usually a dead giveaway.
                that seems like a long way.
                Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
                Yeah nothing behind that immidiate area looked damaged and the opposing side looked completely fine. But I'm not paying the asking price for that, and if I'm spending that much money on a vehicle I'd like it pristine. Was pretty bummed, I thought she was the one :-( lol
                it's had a torch on it for sure.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  it's had a torch on it for sure.
                  Yeah that was my first though. I'm sure theyll sell it to someone who doesnt know better for well above MSRP

Comment

to be honest, that is no big deal. All you need is a poison spyder BFH front bumper which requires cutting that section off which will give you better clearance in the front and look better then the bumpers that use the stock mounts that stick out a foot or two from the front end. I'd beat the holy fuck out of them over the price of course but i wouldnt be too concerned. A major tell of a wheeled/abused JK is underneath, look at the gas tank skid plate, the transfer case cross member and the axle covers. If they're beat up then well you know it was treated like... a jeep.
                    http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

Originally posted by tribaltalon View Post
                      to be honest, that is no big deal. All you need is a poison spyder BFH front bumper which requires cutting that section off which will give you better clearance in the front and look better then the bumpers that use the stock mounts that stick out a foot or two from the front end. I'd beat the holy fuck out of them over the price of course but i wouldnt be too concerned. A major tell of a wheeled/abused JK is underneath, look at the gas tank skid plate, the transfer case cross member and the axle covers. If they're beat up then well you know it was treated like... a jeep.
                      LOL yeah I was thinking aftermarket bumper/bully bars could take care of it, but either way wasnt looking to spend that kind of money on something that needs work. It was still there as of last night, if anyone is looking to lowball the crap out of them theres your chance!

On another note, finally found my Jeep! Got a new one for cheaper than that used one was going for (same packaged minus tow hitch). Super happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X