Carter vs. Barry (Iran/Egypt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter vs. Barry (Iran/Egypt)

This is an eerie similarity with these two gutless wonders: Carter backed the Shah of Iran in '79, who was overtaken by the Ayatollah. Now it looks as though Egypt is going the same route. Weak US presidents are NOT good for world stabilization. Welcome to Carter's second term...

I just wish this was closer to the election.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
      I just wish this was closer to the election.
      Me, too, brother. This could be a really bad deal for us, and the rest of the world, for that matter. Muslims are wanting control BADLY. I hope the world is watching Barry's chickenshit responses to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
        Me, too, brother. This could be a really bad deal for us, and the rest of the world, for that matter. Muslims are wanting control BADLY. I hope the world is watching Barry's chickenshit responses to this.
        Oh....they are and it doesn't help our standing. There was a report today that the white house wasn't quite sure what to think or how to handle the situation. How is that even possible? This guy sucks. He needs tickets to the theater.

Comment

what would you have him do?

Comment

It was long established U.S. Foreign policy to back the Shah - the 1953 coup d'état that put the Shah in power was a CIA operation, no less. Not anything Carter dreamed up - although he perhaps hadn't supported it.

The 1979 Islamic Revolution was done by mass protesting. We were very unpopular over there because we propped the Shah up, and the Iranians knew it. From what I've read, and the Iranian expatriates I've met, the Islamic revolution was not supposed to turn out the way that it did. They unwittingly traded one oppressive regime for another, even more oppressive and brutal regime.
            Men have become the tools of their tools.
            -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
              It was long established U.S. Foreign policy to back the Shah - the 1953 coup d'état that put the Shah in power was a CIA operation, no less. Not anything Carter dreamed up - although he perhaps hadn't supported it.

The 1979 Islamic Revolution was done by mass protesting. We were very unpopular over there because we propped the Shah up, and the Iranians knew it. From what I've read, and the Iranian expatriates I've met, the Islamic revolution was not supposed to turn out the way that it did. They unwittingly traded one oppressive regime for another, even more oppressive and brutal regime.
              They hardly ever turn out the way they "should". It's important that OUR security comes first. The problem with Barry, is that he no longer puts us first, just as Carter didn't. When he speaks of American "arrogance" and elitism, it comes across as weak leadership to the rest of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball996 View Post
                Comrade, please read post #7.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                  They hardly ever turn out the way they "should". It's important that OUR security comes first. The problem with Barry, is that he no longer puts us first, just as Carter didn't. When he speaks of American "arrogance" and elitism, it comes across as weak leadership to the rest of the world.
                  I agree entirely that our security should come first. The problem is that when we pump money into foreign governments to try and stabilize them or influence them like we've done with Tunisia, and Egypt, and Iran before it, sometimes we end up being the enemy when the people just flat out rebel against the government we support and the government can't overcome.

Barry has probably been advised that we're fucked if the thing in Egypt becomes another Islamic revolution; but it seems that echoing demands from the protesters fits with his personal views on how we should handle our foreign policy anyway. I think he's hedging the US government bet on Mubarak maintaining control of Egypt. I think it's bullshit, and he should stand by a government that we are giving billions of dollars to in military aid.

Obummer is definitely trying to uphold his campaign promise to change foreign policy. After all, his stepfather Lolo Soetoro was the reason Barry ended up in Indonesia when Indonesia's president recalled all Indonesians- after the CIA backed overthrow of Indonesia's President Sukarno - so I imagine that has something to do with his predilections. He probably remembers the newly-made US backed Indonesian government being heavy handed with the locals to keep everyone in line and maybe didn't understand that the regime change was to thwart the risk of spreading communism.
                  -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Egypt is close to 'our' side. If that changes and the muslims take it over and run it as another Iran, there will be problems. So maybe instead of sitting with his thumb firmly planted in his ass he should offer some sort of assistance? This is more than about a country that is on the other side of the world, this is about an ideology that is about as backwards as you can get taking a foothold in an area that we don't need it too.

See, Obama says he is anti-radical muslim, but he keeps standing on the sideline as thugs slap him in the face. If a group of people that are not afraid of death act accordingly, then help them get to their destination faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      Egypt is close to 'our' side. If that changes and the muslims take it over and run it as another Iran, there will be problems. So maybe instead of sitting with his thumb firmly planted in his ass he should offer some sort of assistance? This is more than about a country that is on the other side of the world, this is about an ideology that is about as backwards as you can get taking a foothold in an area that we don't need it too.

See, Obama says he is anti-radical muslim, but he keeps standing on the sideline as thugs slap him in the face. If a group of people that are not afraid of death act accordingly, then help them get to their destination faster.
                      I have not seen the protesters calling for sharia law, they seem a bit more secular then the iranians.

I think obama is doing the right thing, supporting the people who want a democracy, but not calling for mubarack to step down. in the end the US has to come out of the side of the winner.

Comment

I have not seen the protesters calling for sharia law, they seem a bit more secular then the iranians.

I think obama is doing the right thing, supporting the people who want a democracy, but not calling for mubarack to step down. in the end the US has to come out of the side of the winner.
                        Stick this in your pipe and smoke it: http://www.aina.org/news/20101205201700.htm

Here's the Pew research center poll results:
                        Extremist groups Hamas and Hezbollah continue to receive mixed ratings from Muslim publics. However, opinions of al Qaeda and its leader, Osama bin Laden, are consistently negative; only in Nigeria do Muslims offer views that are, on balance, positive toward al Qaeda and bin Laden.

The part you should be interested in is that 95% of Muslim Egyptians polled said Islam should be a large part of politics. 95% of Egypt are Muslims. Seeing as how Sharia law is fundamentally inseparable from Islam, it's pretty easy to conclude that they do, in fact, want Sharia law - even if that isn't what you are seeing from the media.
                        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

You're ignorant if you don't see the Muslim brotherhood positioning themselves to control Egypt.

Comment

I'm too lazy to read through all the liberal bias on the web. So what is the story with egypt? Why all the sudden this big uprising? What did their prez do that sparked all of this all the sudden? Say muslims had to suck it or something?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X