Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 South Dakota Lawmakers Mandating Gun Ownership - DFW Mustangs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Dakota Lawmakers Mandating Gun Ownership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Dakota Lawmakers Mandating Gun Ownership

Love it!

Ironically, it would probably improve the health and welfare of all people in South Dakota more than Obamacare.
    A group of South Dakota lawmakers has introduced a bill that would require almost everyone in their state to buy a gun once they turn 21.

Turns out it's not a serious attempt. Rather, the lawmakers are trying to make a point about the new health care law -- that an individual mandate is unconstitutional, whether it requires everyone to buy health insurance or, in South Dakota's case, a firearm.

Rep. Hal Wick, one of five co-sponsors, told The Argus Leader newspaper that he expects the bill to fail.

"Do I or the other co-sponsors believe that the state of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance," he said.

The South Dakota proposal would require anyone over 21 to purchase a firearm by Jan. 1, 2012, provided they are not legally disqualified from owning one. It would extend a six-month grace period for residents who turn 21 after the beginning of 2012.

"Each citizen residing in the state of South Dakota who has attained the age of 21 years shall purchase or otherwise acquire a firearm suitable to their temperament, physical capacity and personal preference sufficient to provide for their ordinary self-defense," the bill states.

The proposal comes as a federal judge in Florida rules that the individual mandate in the health care law is unconstitutional. Judge Roger Vinson ruled Monday that the entire law, as a result, should be declared void.

The opinion is the latest in a string of conflicting rulings which, once resolved, will determine whether the Obama administration can, in fact, force people to buy health insurance. Many expect the Supreme Court to decide the case.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

there is a county in georgia that requires home owners to own a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannonball996 View Post
      there is a county in georgia that requires home owners to own a gun.
      Switzerland does, also, and surprise surprise, they also seem to have health care figured out.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
        Switzerland does, also, and surprise surprise, they also seem to have health care figured out.
        My theory is that their system works due to lack of diversity.
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
          That doesn't seem to hurt, but the real emphasis on their society is personal, and social responsibility. We have a profound lack of both of those, and a single standard of behavior in this country would negate a lot of bullshit that goes with accomodating every imagined hardship we can come up with. Fuck what color anyone is, what religion anyone is, what sex anyone is, or anyone's sexual orientation.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Correct! Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
              Switzerland only REQUIRES its service members to keep their assault weapons so long as they're still enlisted and they're fairly tight over keeping up with the ammo for that assault weapon.

It's also alot easier to run a healthcare system in a country who's population is close to that of the DFW metroplex.

Comment

Isn't this bill a little late though?
                "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Actually, there is a distinct diversity in Switzerland - but not on the scale as in the United States, and not in the manner we have. Switzerland is a confederation of 4 national identities that could be categorized by their language: German, French, Italian, and Romansh - all four officially recognized.

I don't think you can simply ascribe their social climate to lack of ethnic diversity, but something a little more concrete like a willingness to get along in the face of obvious ethnic and linguistic division in their national identity.

Like Yale said, it's more in how they handle their affairs.
                  Men have become the tools of their tools.
                  -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

there is a county in Georgia that requires home owners to own a gun.
                    Kennesaw, Georgia
                    “There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods". Aldous Huxley 1962

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
                      Actually, there is a distinct diversity in Switzerland.

I don't think you can simply ascribe their social climate to lack of ethnic diversity, but something a little more concrete like a willingness to get along in the face of obvious ethnic and linguistic division in their national identity.
                      Dude, Switzerland has a 98.9% white population. And I am well aware of the different languages spoken there. Also, kudos on checking the wikipedia article on Switzerland.

Inb4 "I DIDNT USE THE WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE, I JUST KNEW THAT"

Comment

having lived in germany and spent a lot of time in switzerland, there is a bit more social stability over there, they seem to keep jobs longer over there, almost everyone you talk to has worked the same job for 10 years.

Comment

having lived in germany and spent a lot of time in switzerland, there is a bit more social stability over there, they seem to keep jobs longer over there, almost everyone you talk to has worked the same job for 10 years.
                          Sie ghut deutsch spechen?

Comment

Sie ghut deutsch spechen?
                            ja ich spreche Deutsch.

Comment

ja ich spreche Deutsch.
                              Awesome. Ich spreche ein wenig Deutsch. Meine tante ist von Ulm. Ich geniebe ihr Deutsch zu sprechen, wenn ich sie sehe, aber ich muss mehr lernen, fliebend.

Sorry if I really fucked that up, my German sucks. Mr. Fiux is pretty good though.

Comment

Working...
                              X