Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat

We have a digital thermostat and every time the power goes it turns off. To get it to come back on I have to continually unplug it from the wall until it will finally stay on. Sometimes it takes over 30 minutes for it to finally communicate to turn the heater back on.

It has batter back up so when I unplug it from the wall it comes on and reads the temp. When i put it back on its base on the wall the screen goes blank. After doing this a few times, it will stay on and the words " heat on" will flash for about 5 minutes... then it will finally turn the heater on.

Any explanation?
    www.dfwdirtriders.com

If it has a battery backup the power outage shouldn't make a difference. I replaced my TXU Ithermostat yesterday with a 20 year old mechanical one btw, works a whole lot more reliably.

Comment

How old is it? May just be time to upgrade to a better and more advanced thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
        We have a digital thermostat and every time the power goes it turns off. To get it to come back on I have to continually unplug it from the wall until it will finally stay on. Sometimes it takes over 30 minutes for it to finally communicate to turn the heater back on.

It has batter back up so when I unplug it from the wall it comes on and reads the temp. When i put it back on its base on the wall the screen goes blank. After doing this a few times, it will stay on and the words " heat on" will flash for about 5 minutes... then it will finally turn the heater on.

Any explanation?
        stupid question but are you sure the batteries are good? The flashing "heat" is a 5 minute delay built in to protect the equipment. Once you hit that mark it will kick on the heat. Doesn't sound right because the display shouldn't go at all unless you are using the 24v for the power. is it a newer system or pretty old?

Comment

I had a brand new $400 T-stat go bad. Don't assume that new= properly working.

Comment

Originally posted by kpc01 View Post
            stupid question but are you sure the batteries are good? The flashing "heat" is a 5 minute delay built in to protect the equipment. Once you hit that mark it will kick on the heat. Doesn't sound right because the display shouldn't go at all unless you are using the 24v for the power. is it a newer system or pretty old?
            The display stays on while the power is out.... once the power comes back on and it takes back over... the display goes off. I unplug from wall and display comes on. I will do this over and over until it finally stays on and starts flasing
            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I'd Say somethings wrong with the stat. the screen should never go blank even when it gets power back to it. It sounds like you are using the "c" wire to get 24v to it but either way shouldn't matter. is this one of the new communicating systems or a generic stat?

Comment

Originally posted by kpc01 View Post
                I'd Say somethings wrong with the stat. the screen should never go blank even when it gets power back to it. It sounds like you are using the "c" wire to get 24v to it but either way shouldn't matter. is this one of the new communicating systems or a generic stat?
                Just a Generic one... i think it was installed in 99 when they renovated the house.
                www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Depending on the brand of the stat you can pull it off the wall and check the pins that go into the stat, one may be bent or something. Does your stat have batteries in it? Most new homes have a "C" 24 volt wire that powers the tstat and use batteries for a backup as to not lose your custom settings in the event of power failure. I have not seen a 5 minute delay for the heat, Most digital T stats do have a 5 minute delay to protect the compressor. From the sound of it something is wrong with the Tstat or the control wiring. Without phsically seeing it in person and how it acts that my educated guess.
                  81 LX
                  82 GT

Comment

Working...
                  X