Tips for cleaning off overspray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for cleaning off overspray?

Yes I made a dumbass move. I was spraypainting my jet ski trailer in front of my garage (opposite door of the new mustang) and managed to get overspray all over my Ruby Red 2014GT.

I have a variable speed buffer/polisher, and also an orbital buffer. I've got light to medium and medium to heavy grit Turtle Wax polishing compound, and I just went and bought a Clay Bar Kit.

I started with the light to medium turtle wax, but it wasn't getting it off as much as I liked, so I switched to the clay bar. That seemed like it was working, but was a lot of work and I'm almost out of the Meguire's solution.

I need some tips to get all this stuff of. It is all over the car, including windows and lights. Should I just keep going with the clay bar, should I consider a 1000 or 2000 grit wet sand then buff? How is the Turtle Wax compound?
    Carl S.
    2014 Ruby Red Premium GT A6, stock for now
    80 Coupe, Stroked 9.2" Windsor, Yates C3, Dominator, glide, 9.60s n/a, 1.27 sixty 5.48@127.8 nitrous on radials.
    9.32@128 pedaling it half track
    sigpic

Clear bar, windex and a shit ton of elbow grease on the paint. Steel wool on the glass. Wax it when you are done (throw the turtle wax away) buy Mothers or Maguires makes affordable products that work well.

Comment

I always use a water hose when doing a clay bar treatment. Keep that spray on the shelf for touch ups!
      Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
        Clear bar, windex and a shit ton of elbow grease on the paint. Steel wool on the glass. Wax it when you are done (throw the turtle wax away) buy Mothers or Maguires makes affordable products that work well.
        I use a spray bottle with really soapy water for clay bar jobs.

Comment

The best clay bar lubricant, IMO, is Optimum No Rinse (ONR) diluted per the instructions. Not too slick, just the right amount of lubricity.

Over the counter clay bars are terrible. Step up to Meguiars Blue or Red clay. Blue will not leave marring and is a whole lot stronger than the store shelf clay. The red clay will mar the paint resulting in a needed final polish.
          Detailing by Dylan
          817-494-3396
          Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
          Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

Originally posted by Dlachance View Post
            lubricity
            Fun word!

Comment

Well I washed the car again and went over some missed areas again with the white clay bar (I had already bought the kit when I posted this). I'm very tempted to just pay a pro to do this because as I was going back over the car I still see a lot of overspray that is still there in areas that I know I hit.

You guys sure about steel wool on the glass? Like an SOS pad? Seems that would leave scratching, but the clay bar didn't take the overspray off the glass very well.
              Carl S.
              2014 Ruby Red Premium GT A6, stock for now
              80 Coupe, Stroked 9.2" Windsor, Yates C3, Dominator, glide, 9.60s n/a, 1.27 sixty 5.48@127.8 nitrous on radials.
              9.32@128 pedaling it half track
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by White90GT View Post
                Well I washed the car again and went over some missed areas again with the white clay bar (I had already bought the kit when I posted this). I'm very tempted to just pay a pro to do this because as I was going back over the car I still see a lot of overspray that is still there in areas that I know I hit.

You guys sure about steel wool on the glass? Like an SOS pad? Seems that would leave scratching, but the clay bar didn't take the overspray off the glass very well.
                I would not use steel wool on the glass, you can still put scratches into the windshield...

Comment

NOT an sos pad!!! I wouldn't use steel wool either but if you must, you'll want to find #0000 steel wool... the more zero's the better.
                  Last edited by GeorgeG.; 09-12-2014, 07:42 PM.

Comment

SOS pad no

Glass cleaner and fine (like stated above) steel wool will work just fine with no scratching.

Comment

Working...
                    X