Best place/hookups on Molding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place/hookups on Molding?

Well, we are signing our build contract on the 13th and the house will be ready in August. Since i now have the blinds side of thing handled, i want to figure out what i'm going to do for molding (crown, case, chair rail). I refuse to pay 5-7 a foot for crown molding in the house. when i know i can buy the tools and molding and paint for 1/3 for what they will charge me for the whole house.

So where is the best place LOCAL to go buy this stuff? Need fairly large molding since the entire house is 10' ceilings.

Brent
    www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Hire a trim carpenter so it will look nice especially being a new home.
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Wife has family members who do this sort of stuff for a living, so they are going to help us do it. And even a trim carpenter charges 5 bucks a foot just to hang it. (asked a guy who does it on the forum) Which is still pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

I was like, i'll buy the material, i'll paint it, i just need you to cut and hang it, and he said 5 a foot, which to me is pretty crazy considering you hang up to 8' at a time. so its like, great, you charged me 40 bucks to stick a piece of wood on my wall :-\

Comment

How is that good advice anyway? If i wanted to pay to have someone else do it, why the hell wouldn't i just have the home builder do it then?

I'm pretty sure I didn't ask "Hey, should i hire someone to hang my trim for me, or do it myself?" I'm almost positive i asked where the best LOCAL place was to buy trim at a good price. But thanks for your super helpful input.

Comment

call re sweeny &/or resdoor in fortworth. Been getting my trim from them for years. also you can get it in mdf if your painting.
          One day at a time.

Comment

I see hacked up home owner remodels houses all the time. Its harder than you would think if you hadn't trimed a house before. Miters and compound miters have to be perfect.
            Originally posted by Counterfiend View Post
            How is that good advice anyway? If i wanted to pay to have someone else do it, why the hell wouldn't i just have the home builder do it then?

I'm pretty sure I didn't ask "Hey, should i hire someone to hang my trim for me, or do it myself?" I'm almost positive i asked where the best LOCAL place was to buy trim at a good price. But thanks for your super helpful input.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I do appreciate the advice and concern. I want to try my hand at it and if i do it wrong then i'll just end up paying someone to take care of it for me. If i could find someone who would hang it and cut it for not a horrible price then id be willing to do that, but not for $5 a foot just to cut and hang when i'm providing the material and painting.

Brent

Comment

I buy all my trim from willsons plywood and doors in garland. Ive also purchased some from bmc southwest, witch i belive is in coppell. The sticks of trim come in 16 ft lenths so you may need a trailer to pick it up. THey can deliver for you but you have to have a account with them. If you go to willsons ask for a sales man and tell him what your trying to do and that you dont want to spend a shit load on meterial. They are some helpful fuckers up there. If you have any other questions let me know... trim isnt hard if you know what your doing

Comment

Working...
                X