help/tips/hookups for new 24x30 shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help/tips/hookups for new 24x30 shop

Tax refunds look like they'll be getting me close to actually doing this.

I want to do a 24x30 shop with a 10-12ft lean to on the side, so the concrete would be 36x30. The ones I've been seeing have 10 ft walls. I eventually want a lift so would this be high enough? I also would love to add a small loft on the end eventually but Its hard to put the 10ft walls in perspective.

Anyone have pictures of similar shops with 10ft walls they can post?

Also got a guy that quoted me $4.50 a ft for the concrete, is this a deal or can I do better than this? I've been looking at metal mart and mueller for the shop then just buy the lean to material separately. anyone have any insight? this will be my first time doing this. I do plan on insulating it and doing the floor before I move anything into it.

example: http://www.muellerinc.com/building/p...src=243010.jpg

Concrete isn't something you want to skimp on. I'm all for getting the best deal you can but there is a WIDE variance in concrete workers out there. What does the quote of $4.50sq/ft cover? 4" slab, beam width/depth, & what reinforcement? We have built 3 steel buildings on out property and they have all been purchased through Mueller.

Speak to Brian Ingram @ Mueller, he will take care of you and get you the best price your going to get through them.

For concrete give Brad Stevens with Blue Ribbon Construction a call. He may not be the cheapest on the block but he will do things the RIGHT way and wont cut corners that will cost you later. His number is: 214-354-8626

You can tell either one of them that Zach Smith gave you there number. Both of these guys are great and have really taken care of me so far.
    The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

Comment

10' walls will only be tall enough if you have a high pitch roof and the lifts are in the middle. I thing a commercial lift is about 10' high, then u put a car with the hood open on it and you are looking at 15'.

Comment

My shop is 40x50x14 with a 2:10 roof. I have plenty of room above my lift. My kit came from Ameristeel North of Denton. You can buy the kit of do turn key.
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post
          Concrete isn't something you want to skimp on. I'm all for getting the best deal you can but there is a WIDE variance in concrete workers out there. What does the quote of $4.50sq/ft cover? 4" slab, beam width/depth, & what reinforcement? We have built 3 steel buildings on out property and they have all been purchased through Mueller.

Speak to Brian Ingram @ Mueller, he will take care of you and get you the best price your going to get through them.

For concrete give Brad Stevens with Blue Ribbon Construction a call. He may not be the cheapest on the block but he will do things the RIGHT way and wont cut corners that will cost you later. His number is: 214-354-8626

You can tell either one of them that Zach Smith gave you there number. Both of these guys are great and have really taken care of me so far.
          thanks for the info. I know he uses rebar in the concrete but honestly don't know much more than that. It is 4" slab. I will get more details from him, I just didn't know if that was fair or not since it was my first quote. Just wondering what to expect

also, which location is Brian Ingram at? I wasn't sure which one to call.

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
            My shop is 40x50x14 with a 2:10 roof. I have plenty of room above my lift. My kit came from Ameristeel North of Denton. You can buy the kit of do turn key.
            thanks, I'll have to check them out. Most of the kits I see are 10' walls but I really think I want atleast 12'. I live just outside of Denton so ameristeel will be on my list. I know for sure I'll talk to Mueller and Metal Mart.

I'll probably start getting quotes and looking a little more in the next week or two. thanks for all the tips

Comment

Brian is at the Aledo location. All of our buildings have 12' eve heights with a 4:12 pitch. I don't know where steel prices are at right now but our last one was a 36x72 w/ 4 garage door openings and 2 walk throughout doors an it was $16k.

When you start shopping different kits make sure your comparing apples to apples, ie:color fade warranty, metal gauge and engineered to the same standard. I live south of Denton (just north of the speedway) so if you'd like to come out and take a look at Muellers buildings your more than welcome to.
              The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

Comment

thanks, I may take you up on that. I still think I'm a month or so away but its probably time to start looking deeper. I'll hit you up if I can make it out that way.

Comment

Steel prices have been climbing every two or so weeks since Jan 1st.

The building you get will cost a full 20% more by March 1st over what it did in December. I'd buy today, because by April I bet it is another 10%.

Comment

$4.50 ft. is cheap for an engineered slab. Is it cabled or steel? Just be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                      $4.50 ft. is cheap for an engineered slab. Is it cabled or steel? Just be careful.
                      He said steel but I don't know all the questions to ask. I know the city does require an "engineered" slab. What all does the engineered part of it entail? I need to make sure I ask this guy all the right questions to make sure I know what I'm getting.

thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by kpc01 View Post
                        He said steel but I don't know all the questions to ask. I know the city does require an "engineered" slab. What all does the engineered part of it entail? I need to make sure I ask this guy all the right questions to make sure I know what I'm getting.

thanks for the info
                        A structural engineer needs to draw up the slab. All cities require this, so that they don't have a crumbling eye-sore on their hands in a few years. It generally runs about $350 or so to have it engineered and drawn up. You will get a "stamped" (approved) set of plans to submit to the city when you request the permit. Your concrete guy will set the slab up based on the engineers' drawing, then right before they pour, the engineer (or a rep) will come out and do a "pre-pour" inspection of the layout to be sure that the concrete guy followed ALL of his instructions/directions (gee-we all know that a concrete guy would NEVER cut corners!). This is included in the $350 fee. If you need an engineer to do this, PM me and I'll recommend one.

Comment

kcp01,
                          I asked a similar question on the old site and somebody recommended J&I Manufacturing in Oklahoma. Their kits are weld together, here is the link:
                          J & I Manufacturing carries processed steel products and farm/ranch supplies: truck beds, equipment, fencing & steel building materials.

Just another option. Do you know who you are going to use to assemble the building or are you going to do it yourself?

*EDIT*
                          Ohh yeah, don't forget to have a look on www.garagejournal.com. A lot of people post the construction of their garages with what they would have done differently if they were to do it over again.
                          Last edited by Mike K; 02-09-2011, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                            kcp01,
                            I asked a similar question on the old site and somebody recommended J&I Manufacturing in Oklahoma. Their kits are weld together, here is the link:
                            J & I Manufacturing carries processed steel products and farm/ranch supplies: truck beds, equipment, fencing & steel building materials.

Just another option. Do you know who you are going to use to assemble the building or are you going to do it yourself?

*EDIT*
                            Ohh yeah, don't forget to have a look on www.garagejournal.com. A lot of people post the construction of their garages with what they would have done differently if they were to do it over again.
                            thanks for the link. Their site doesn't give much info but the prices are good. I'm not sure if I want to try a weld together but I'll keep it in mind. If it was bolt up I'd be all over it.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to do it myself or not. Looking like I will do it myself just because of my budget. I've got 2-3 quotes so far and waiting for a few more. The final amount of $$ will make my decision of whether I'll do it myself or not

Comment

Can you not do a post frame in your area.

They do a post from 40x60 here for $11 a sq/ft including slab (non engineered).

The weld together kits are awesome if you can weld or have a bud who can. A guy I know of charges $50/hr, but he could have the red iron up in a day easy if you helped.http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

I added the link just so you could see the movement in Steel prices over the last few days and last four weeks. They are supposed to continue this trend through april. Possible that a $5k building could cost over $6k in a couple months.
                              Last edited by dblack1; 02-09-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X