Fence Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fence Ideas

My house is on a 1.3 acre lot, but who ever put up the original fence only fenced in a small portion of the yard (see picture) making it feel really congested. I want to take the fence down and fence in the whole back yard with either a 4’ or 6’ chain link fence (again, see picture). My neighbor suggested using wax myrtle trees along the fence to eventually fill the fence in like a wall for more privacy. Is the wax myrtle a good tree choice for this? Does anybody have any other recommendations that may be more cost effective?

On a side note, can anybody recommend a fence company in north Dallas? I know somebody is going to tell me to do it myself, but I am in Afghanistan.

damn thats alot of fencing hope you have alot of coin

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
      damn thats alot of fencing hope you have alot of coin
      I know

Comment

I'm having close to 2 acres fenced in right now. I'm doing 4x4 posts with 3 rails and non climb (for the dogs). this is for the front half you can see, then once it goes into the trees they are just doing nonclimb.

I got 5-6 quotes before finding landscape investments and they've been great. they were WAY below the other bids and have gone above expectations. Unfortunately the snows slowed them down so its not finished but I figure they will have it done by wed. They do all kinds of fence and could probably give you some more advice or do chain link if thats what you decide on.

at least call Greg and give him a chance, I'm sure he'll make it worth while. Tell him Kelly gave you his info and he should cut you a deal. He was 2k lower than the avg. just to give you an idea. I will shoot some pics of mine when then finish it up in a day or two.

(940) 321-2047

http://www.fenceinvestments.com/

Comment

Great, thanks for the info. If you remember, I would love to see the pictures. What is the non-climb stuff? Is it something they add to the fence or is it the type of fence that makes it pet friendly?

Comment

I took this snow pic the other day so its the only one I have right now. Like I said, I'm going a different route then chain link but I like it a little better. Non climb is the wire you see behind the fence. It just keeps the animals in. I'll take some complete pics when its finished. Going to stain it in a few months after its all dried out. It ended up being a little over 1k feet total.

Comment

Wow... you guys (Dallas) did get quite a bit of snow. We haven't received more than a flurry here at 7k ft above sea level in the Hindu Kush Mountains

Thanks for the pic... that explains a lot. I can't wait to see more pics when you get them.

Comment

When we built our fence, we ad to contain 5 acres. Luckily the rear section was prexisting woods so we went with a no-climb and t-post combo. The side facing the road was 2 or 3 inch oil pipe with wire cattle panels welded on the backside. Loked great andvwas actually cheaper than some othr methods. Having a good welder who could manage the pipe was the key.

I'd look into that and then yo can do the living wall for the privacy feel

Comment

PM sent. I would do Iron across the front.

Comment

T post and field fence along the sides and back. Something more decorative across the front. What was posted looks nice. Not sure exactly how that one is but I'd have to use metal posts or one of those anchors that would keep the wooden post above ground. I'd rather pay more now and not have to do it over as often.

Comment

Mines also going to be t posts and non climb on the back half. the wood sections are only about 400 feet of it and are for looks only. There are definitely a lot of options as far as types

Comment

How many linear feet are you talking about?

You can do a damn nice wood privacy fence for about $9 per foot.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                          How many linear feet are you talking about?

You can do a damn nice wood privacy fence for about $9 per foot.
                          Wish I knew; I never measured it while I was on vacation. Even at $9 I have a feeling that it would be out of my budget.

*EDIT* I just used the scale on Bing Maps to guestimate and came up with 550. $5,000 wouldn't be bad at all for a wood fence. Is that $9 per foot doing it yourself?
                          Last edited by Mike K; 02-13-2011, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                            Wish I knew; I never measured it while I was on vacation. Even at $9 I have a feeling that it would be out of my budget.

*EDIT* I just used the scale on Bing Maps to guestimate and came up with 550. $5,000 wouldn't be bad at all for a wood fence. Is that $9 per foot doing it yourself?
                            I don't want to speak for Matt, but I'm gonna say that $9 is doing all the labor yourself. It's not a hard job, especially if you don't do it in the heat of the summer.

Comment

You probably should check your HOA. DOn't get in the middle of it and find out it isn't allowed.

Comment

Working...
                              X