What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I doing wrong?

Starting at the new year, I decided I was going to drop some weight. Basically what I did was go to several websites and see what my body naturally burns calorie wise. The average calories I found was around 3000 a day without doing anything and just living.

SO i figured if I cut down my calories to around 1200 a day, I would burn about 1800 a day so average a pound or so lost every other day. I was eating smart ones and lean cuisine stuff, grilled chicken, and putting everything I ate in my iphone app so I kept track of everything. I tried doing high protein, and will have a high protein shake in the afternoon sometimes, only getting 120 calories or so from it.

I would walk 3-4 times a week and usually burn only 200-400 calories each time, but if im under what Im naturally burning then that should just be gravy on top.

The only problem is I haven't really lost anything. I was down maybe 4 pounds or so but slacked off a LITTLE for week or so and am back to where I started. WTF is going on?? Its frustrating as hell and so damn discouraging.

a lot of those options like smart ones and lean cuisines are high in sodium, and can cause a lot of water weight to be carried.

And those calorie sites are a GUIDE, not fact. 1200 calories is close to the unsafe side, depending on your goal weight. Walking is nice, but you need to get your heart rate up, then let it come back down, then repeat. Sprints, weight lifting, basketball, tennis, ect would really be more of a benefit. running the stairs at work would even do you better.

Couple of questions, what is your current height/weight, what is your goal or optimum weight? How many "meals" a day are you eating? One of the keys i've learned as far as getting my body into a weight loss mode is eating all day, even though it sounds like a bad idea. I eat 5-8 times a day depending on the day.

I've dropped 20 pounds in the last month, and I know half of that was just water weight, but it's coming off like crazy. I hit the gym 3-4 times a week, doing upper body one day, lower the next, then rest two days, then upper, then lower, rest... etc.

Comment

you sound like you are on the right track, don't give up, don't let the ammount of weight you lose be counter productive.

Also do you drink alcohol/beer at all?

What about sodas, sugary drinks, etc? I'd recommend at least a gallon to 2 gallons a day of just plain old water. Oh and try to get 8 hours of sleep a night. Sleep and water are two of the most important keys to weight loss, a lot of people miss.

Comment

Ask AnthonyS
        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
          a lot of those options like smart ones and lean cuisines are high in sodium, and can cause a lot of water weight to be carried.

And those calorie sites are a GUIDE, not fact. 1200 calories is close to the unsafe side, depending on your goal weight. Walking is nice, but you need to get your heart rate up, then let it come back down, then repeat. Sprints, weight lifting, basketball, tennis, ect would really be more of a benefit. running the stairs at work would even do you better.

Couple of questions, what is your current height/weight, what is your goal or optimum weight? How many "meals" a day are you eating? One of the keys i've learned as far as getting my body into a weight loss mode is eating all day, even though it sounds like a bad idea. I eat 5-8 times a day depending on the day.

I've dropped 20 pounds in the last month, and I know half of that was just water weight, but it's coming off like crazy. I hit the gym 3-4 times a week, doing upper body one day, lower the next, then rest two days, then upper, then lower, rest... etc.

Working midnights kicked my ass. Im 5' 11 and like 225. My goal is 200 even. I wouldnt consider myself a lard ass but not "in shape" either. I still get the fat joke throw down from buddies so I know its still an issue but not out of control. Sodium is tough on because on foods its almost like pick your poison. Either its loaded in carbs, fat or sodium.

The only reason I felt walking was good was because they say its the same as running only takes longer in regards to calories burned. I do understand the heart rate thing, that makes sense.

I dont drink beer or drink regular cokes. I will have coke zero and stuff like that but not excessive. I think its more the caffeine and whats "normal" to drink everyday.

Comment

Silverback posted some great info.

All of those "dinners" are loaded with salt and other preservatives. If you continue to eat them you should offset by drinking LOTS of water.

Upping the intensity of the cardio works very well too.

I prefer a very basic diet consisting of fresh foods. 90% of what I eat is non processed meat, fruits or veggies, what we're designed to eat and digest. Maybe go really strict for 2-4 weeks on diet, only eat what you can grow or kill. Google the Paleo diet.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
              Silverback posted some great info.

All of those "dinners" are loaded with salt and other preservatives. If you continue to eat them you should offset by drinking LOTS of water.

Upping the intensity of the cardio works very well too.

I prefer a very basic diet consisting of fresh foods. 90% of what I eat is non processed meat, fruits or veggies, what we're designed to eat and digest. Maybe go really strict for 2-4 weeks on diet, only eat what you can grow or kill. Google the Paleo diet.
              Good info too...thanks. As for the high sodium meals, wouldnt drinking more water add to the weight gain because there would be ample water for the sodium to absorb and hold?? Or what does drinking alot of water do?

Comment

Originally posted by houstondallas View Post
                Good info too...thanks. As for the high sodium meals, wouldnt drinking more water add to the weight gain because there would be ample water for the sodium to absorb and hold?? Or what does drinking alot of water do?
                The more water you drink, the less water your cells will hold. By not drinking enough water, the body will "store" the water you do consume.

Comment

Carbs aren't a bad thing, and I think a lot of people think they are.

Refined sugars, processes flour, and manufactured carbs are bad.

Whole grains, and fruits and veggies aren't bad carbs.

lots of water does several things for you:

1 - flushes toxins and waste out of the body
                  2 - makes you feel full longer
                  3 - fills cells as UserX mentioned
                  4 - keep bowel movements regular (poop = weight loss)

Comment

The first thing you should do is stop weighing. Put your scale up and weigh once a month. It gets to an obsession with some people,and can lead to just quitting altogether.

Let the way you feel be your guide. Use your clothing and progress in workouts be your measure of success.

Seriously, weight is so subjective.
                    www.crossfit.com

Comment

Awesome. Maybe thats what im missing. Time to get my drank on...water that is. Thanks!

Comment

Also, be happy with .5 to 1 pound a week. Anthing more than that should be a bonus for you.

We're all obsessed, me included, with instant results.

I weigh everyday, sometimes twice a day. But mine isn't for results, but more to get to know my body, and how things effect it with weight, water, etc. I take a lot of vitamins and supplements and use this as my own way to see how they compare.

Comment

How much water are you drinking? I would shoot for at least 64oz a day. Stay away from sodium. Eat fresh food. Salads with protein like chicken at dinner. I always leave myself feeling a little hungry at night. Don't just look at your caloric intake. Pay very close attention to your carb intake, especially the ones Silverback pointed out. Get plenty of sleep.

Thats all I have to say.

Comment

If walking is your only exercise...that's also the main problem. Get your heart rate up a bit! you have cut calories so hard you're now in conservation mode. I'd be surprised if you really burned 3K calories a day as well. Shoot for about 1700-1800 a day, and start doing more exercising.

I will strongly disagree with the suggestion to put your scale away. If you're trying to lose weight you have to measure your progress somehow to know if your routine is effective. I weigh nearly everyday just to monitor my weight and make sure I'm where I need to be. Afterall...how would have known that why you were doing wasn't working without weighing.

In short:

-More exercise, at a safe but elevated heart rate

-1700 to 1800 HEALTHY Calories a day

-Track progress, set many short term goals

-Do not expect a pound every other day, Expect 1-2lbs a week.

-remember...slacking off doesn't mean your progress stops...it means you're undoing everything you just did.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                              If walking is your only exercise...that's also the main problem. Get your heart rate up a bit! you have cut calories so hard you're now in conservation mode. I'd be surprised if you really burned 3K calories a day as well. Shoot for about 1700-1800 a day, and start doing more exercising.

I will strongly disagree with the suggestion to put your scale away. If you're trying to lose weight you have to measure your progress somehow to know if your routine is effective. I weigh nearly everyday just to monitor my weight and make sure I'm where I need to be. Afterall...how would have known that why you were doing wasn't working without weighing.

In short:

-More exercise, at a safe but elevated heart rate

-1700 to 1800 HEALTHY Calories a day

-Track progress, set many short term goals

-Do not expect a pound every other day, Expect 1-2lbs a week.

-remember...slacking off doesn't mean your progress stops...it means you're undoing everything you just did.
                              I think you also have to take into account your body weight will fluctuate. One day you can be 3lbs over, and the next a pound under. It is not constant. Most doctors or programs will tell you to weigh every few days. I way everyday like ruffdaddy for the same reasons. But, I also know there is fluctuation and don't get discouraged. As long as, over time, your up swing is gradually going down, then you are doing good.

Comment

Working...
                              X