Most power per dollar LS engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most power per dollar LS engine.

Most power per dollar LS engine, how would you build it?

I am wanting to put one together, but want to start at the bottom of the price range.

I'm thinking a carbureted 5.3 with a decent cam and longtubes would be cheap and could be made to put out 350 rear wheel.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-16-2010, 09:50 AM.

Stock 5.3, rod bolts and head studs. t76 turbo and big fuel system. Guy on the turbo forums made just shy of 700wheel hp on a similar setup and it stayed together.
    Ded

Comment

nix the 5.3 and get yourself a 6.0 iron block truck engine. You can get them for a few $$ more and you can bore them out if you need to, bigger cylinders so your less limited on what heads you can run, etc.

I went through this same thing with my last setup. Decided to do cheap first then change it up when I got the money and I really went about it wrong. First decided if you want EFI or a carb and what you will stick with in the long run. If EFI then run the factory stuff, if you want a carb then go that round. I personally had the MSD 6010 ignition controller so i would go with a distributor.

**EDIT**
      Sorry, forgot you asked for idea on combos.

Stock 6.0L
      L92 heads with PRC gold springs
      MS4 cam
      either factory efi with some kind of tune OR victor Jr intake and Quick Fuel 750 carb
      Last edited by Lason; 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
        nix the 5.3 and get yourself a 6.0 iron block truck engine. You can get them for a few $$ more and you can bore them out if you need to, bigger cylinders so your less limited on what heads you can run, etc.

I went through this same thing with my last setup. Decided to do cheap first then change it up when I got the money and I really went about it wrong. First decided if you want EFI or a carb and what you will stick with in the long run. If EFI then run the factory stuff, if you want a carb then go that round. I personally had the MSD 6010 ignition controller so i would go with a distributor.

**EDIT**

Stock 6.0L
        MS4 cam
        either factory efi with some kind of tune OR victor Jr intake and Quick Fuel 750 carb
        I've been thinking the same thing as far as the 6.0. But honestly, I am planning on putting together a little cheap, enjoyable driver, and once it is started, quickly finishing it. I really am not that worried about doing it right the first time. I am more interested in just getting it going for minimum expense, enjoying it, and slowly changing it after that.

Comment

You can get a 5.3 for like 400$ I have not seen a fully dressed lq9 for under 1500$ with reasonable miles and I've been looking for one for my new project.
          Ded

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
            **EDIT**

Stock 6.0L
            MS4 cam
            nice. Over 500hp in that setup. The lq4 heads are fine except for the compression arent they? If it had less cam, a stock lq4 longblock would work and wouldn't up the price too much, considering all the rest is the same on the 5.3.

Comment

Originally posted by vadertt View Post
              You can get a 5.3 for like 400$ I have not seen a fully dressed lq9 for under 1500$ with reasonable miles and I've been looking for one for my new project.
              Where can you pick one up for $400?

Comment

I think I paid $300 or $400 for the LQ4 I started to build for my car. Came complete from intake to oil pan, the only thing missing was the wiring harness. I would NEVER pay $1500 for a iron block motor personally. The newer L92's are a bit more expensive but usually just because of the miles. There is no difference that I know of other than the heads between the LQ4 and L92.

The biggest limiting factor in a 5.3 setup are the smallish bores. It limits your ability to run heads with bigger valves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post

Seen them on Craigslist, junkyards and ebay for around that price.
                  Ded

Comment

I really like this build on the turbo forums. He does a 5.3 and eventually switches over to a 6.0.

Aaron has been building fast cars on his own since he was a teenager. Mostly he likes to shoot for the stars and do it on a budget. He seems to...

I think it made 1200 something with the 5.3

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                      How many do you need? We literally have hundreds of them.

Comment

fyi you can get a 6.0HO out of an escalade for 950~

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                          How complete do they come and how much more for the harness?
                          Originally posted by Sean88gt
                          As always, my criticisms should never be taken as if I wouldn't go balls deep in it.

Comment

are you talking about lq4 or l92?

Comment

Interested, price and specs?
                              Ded

Comment

Working...
                              X