Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When nothing off the shelf will do, make your own.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When nothing off the shelf will do, make your own.

I had a customer contact me through a board memeber - he wanted his turbo kit upgraded from a 3" to a 3.5" downpipe and ran all the way to the bumper (with split 3" tail pipes - stainless, looks badass!)

This was a pre-existing kit that's pretty old and needed some new life..and with the new engine (a damn nice one, I might add) - it needs to breathe a bit better.

Now, the problem. Fitting a 3.5" downpipe along side the passenger side valve cover with the kit where it sat. Normally, you could use a formed sheetmetal cone to adapt the turbine to the bigger tubing - but that takes up too much room and wouldn't allow the downpipe to turn before it hit the valve cover - and if it did fit, you coudln't get to the spark plugs from the top.

So, the idea was to make a simple flange that clamped to the turbo and adapted the 3.5" tubing all at one time. It's only 1.5" long compared to the 6" or more of the cone type reducer...

first operation - face one side, and finish bore it through. This allows the flipping of the part and reasonable concentricity.

Next - Rough turn most of the O.D. and finish size the Vband end (indicated by the arrow)

3rd Op. - Finish bore and taper the downpipe side.

4th - rough gouge out the groove where the vband sits - downpipe side stays 45*, the clamp side gets pushed back to 15*.

Last operation - flip part and turn the 15* for the clamp to grab on.

very cool

Comment

Freaking sweet!!! Wish i had a lath!!!

Comment

I think that's similar to how Brian at BG does the downpipe on my kit. It's a 3-1/2" DP connected to the MP70 exhaust housing. It's close and you have to clearance the vband clamp a bit to make it work, but it does. I'm sure he doesn't do the machine work you see in yours, but he does it somehow. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of my DP when I got it new.

Here it is....

Last edited by Doug Hatton; 02-09-2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that's the idea - but he does a slip over and not internally fitted (I think)... either way works I guess.
          Last edited by turbostang; 02-09-2011, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
            Freaking sweet!!! Wish i had a lath!!!
            Me too!!

Nice work Brooks

6-25-10 RIP Chloe Rene Daddy loves you always

78 Suburban (slammed with LS in future)
            54 Olds 88 2dr HT
            12 Camaro SS convertible

Comment

His looks like it fits the ID of the 3-1/2 DP, not the OD.

Comment

Work in progress... I was hoping to be done tonight but as you can see that didnt happen.

Thanks for the idea Brooks!

Comment

No problem dude!

What kind of material is that? it looks hard as hell! (judging by the color of the chips on the table)

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                    No problem dude!

What kind of material is that? it looks hard as hell! (judging by the color of the chips on the table)
                    As far as I can tell its just mild steel. It had some sort of coating on the outside. It might be that carbide cutter, I had a 2" thick chunk of hot rolled mild steel bar and it turned chips black the same way.

Comment

This part is turning into about a 10 hour job! I should have started with some thinner material but what I had was free. I think one more class and it will be done.

Comment

Yup, that one off stuff will get you every time!

Comment

Fuckin Nice!!
                          I need one to

Comment

Working...
                          X