Any Machinists here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Machinists here?

I've been looking for someone to take on a project off and on for a couple of years now with no luck. Most of you are familiar with my 1/12th scale Camaro build. Its at a stand still right now, I can't go much further until I get some wheels for this thing. I'm looking for someone who can either machine the entire wheel, or just the outer sleeve that would hold a cast resin wheel center.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
    I've been looking for someone to take on a project off and on for a couple of years now with no luck. Most of you are familiar with my 1/12th scale Camaro build. Its at a stand still right now, I can't go much further until I get some wheels for this thing. I'm looking for someone who can either machine the entire wheel, or just the outer sleeve that would hold a cast resin wheel center.
    Have you tried contacting anyone that does RC wheels? I would think they would have the equipment to do what you need. Just not sure how many would be interested in one off type stuff.

Comment

I can make you a proE model to send to a shop expect to pay a pretty penny for them to be machined though. Maybe you could go with an SLA or SLS prototype material and paint to look metal? Lots or places to get that done.

Comment

BTW, you might want to post this in the Fabrication sub forum in the garage too. Might have more exposure to people that would have the right equipment (I am guessing a lathe and drill press would be enough).

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
          BTW, you might want to post this in the Fabrication sub forum in the garage too. Might have more exposure to people that would have the right equipment (I am guessing a lathe and drill press would be enough).
          I haven't seen the wheel style but I'm not seeing how he can do without a mill. Wait you're just referring to the outer sleeve huh?

Why not cast the whole thing yourself black?

Comment

Someone like Wolfe could CNC anything you'd want but it won't be cheap. I'd try http://www.1hg.com and see if they can do it. I can't think of any other small scale machinists but Hammad makes all the little titanium and billet RC car stuff you can imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              I haven't seen the wheel style but I'm not seeing how he can do without a mill. Wait you're just referring to the outer sleeve huh?

Why not cast the whole thing yourself black?
              Hell, IDK, I just figured you could do it in aluminum with a lathe, but I don't know alot about metal fabricating.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                Hell, IDK, I just figured you could do it in aluminum with a lathe, but I don't know alot about metal fabricating.
                You're right if he's just making a sleeve. He could also use barstock and a drll press if going with a common size.

Anything else will take more. Casting would be cheap and easy.

Comment

lots of replies in a short time. If this were 1/24 scale, it wouldn't be a big deal to make them out of plastic or resin and paint them to look like aluminum. however on a 1/12th scale, it just wouldn't look right. I know its gonna cost, quite a bit, I'm expecting a pretty shiny price tag for a model car, though I'd like to stay under $200. If possible. I completely forgot about the fab forum, if a mod could move this, that would be great. I've thought about contacting forgeline and seeing if they would be willing to help out! lol. Ruffdaddy, sent you a pm

Comment

You're right if he's just making a sleeve. He could also use barstock and a drll press if going with a common size.

Anything else will take more. Casting would be cheap and easy.
                    That would work for something basic, however, realism is key! I would think I'd have a hard time getting the radius on the lip and such.

Comment

lots of replies in a short time. If this were 1/24 scale, it wouldn't be a big deal to make them out of plastic or resin and paint them to look like aluminum. however on a 1/12th scale, it just wouldn't look right. I know its gonna cost, quite a bit, I'm expecting a pretty shiny price tag for a model car, though I'd like to stay under $200. If possible. I completely forgot about the fab forum, if a mod could move this, that would be great. I've thought about contacting forgeline and seeing if they would be willing to help out! lol. Ruffdaddy, sent you a pm
                      I asked Leah to move it since I'm not a mod in the BP.

Comment

I can machine just about anything you'd want for that particular project. Post a pic of what you're looking for.

Soon, like by the warm weather - I'll be full CNC capable too.

Comment

awe shit....what is it they say, any project brooks has a hand in is bad ass..... OH YEAH

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                            I can machine just about anything you'd want for that particular project. Post a pic of what you're looking for.

Soon, like by the warm weather - I'll be full CNC capable too.
                            I'm gonna have to remember you when I have designs at home from now on! Do you own a shop or work from home?

Comment

awe shit....what is it they say, any project brooks has a hand in is bad ass..... OH YEAH
                              lol, I don't know about "any" - i've hosed my fair share, I'm sure.

I'm gonna have to remember you when I have designs at home from now on! Do you own a shop or work from home?
                              I work from home, all from home. I have the electronics for my milling machine already. It will be retro'd first. The lathe, I use the most and needs to be operational as long as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X