YZ450F vs. CRF450R or WR450F vs CRF450X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YZ450F vs. CRF450R or WR450F vs CRF450X

Looking to pick up a newer fuel injected four stroke and cant decide on the best route to go. Here where I stand:

-Bike will see 90% trail time and maybe 10% track time.

-Im sure the moto-X version bikes are gonna have more bite to them but I would really like the electric start of the enduro versions. I would hate to drop the coin on the enduro and it not have the power IM looking for.

-The ability to make it street legal would be a plus with the enduros.

Im stuck, and need some thoughts/opinions either way, that's where you guys come in..
    The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

450x it seems like you already have your mind made up on a trail bike

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
      450x it seems like you already have your mind made up on a trail bike
      Not so. If the WR/CRFX are gonna be pigs in comparison to there moto-x counter parts I will steer clear of the enduros. But if the enduros deliver a "hit" I would prefer go that route.

Why do you say the 450X?
      The Daily

Comment

You can "YZ-ify" a WR or put some Honda "R" parts on an "X" to power it up. An XC bike usually has about 20-30 extra lbs on it vs the same MX bike. Most of the additional weight is from the e-start and the 18" rear wheel. If you want to street a dirt bike a MX bike would take some work. Gearing is not ideal. No lights. No e-start will suck. I'm not sure what it would take to title it for the street.

If you plan to ride aggressively and making it street legal isn't a priority I'd get a MX bike and tune it down a bit for trails. A 450MX bike with a Rekluse, an 18" rear wheel, and a moderate tune would be a good trail bike.

If you want something to throw around in the woods a 250 2 stroke is the way to go. Mine rips.

It's all about personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post
          Not so. If the WR/CRFX are gonna be pigs in comparison to there moto-x counter parts I will steer clear of the enduros. But if the enduros deliver a "hit" I would prefer go that route.

Why do you say the 450X?
          The 450x is by no means a slouch and it has electric start and thats a huge plus and, has lights,bigger gas tank, a little bit heavier, and the only big difference in the x and the r is gearing

I say the 450x because of their durability, reliability, and you said it was going to see the track maybe 10% of the time

Comment

what do you normally ride?

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
              I've always had smaller 2 strokes. My dirt experice is limited and I sold my last bike years ago but would really like to get back into the scene. Im a bigger guy (6'-240lbs) so I really think I want to go the 450 route. It's easy to take the 450 down a notch with throttle control but I can only beat on a 250 so hard.

I currently ride an 08' GSXR 1000 for street duty.
              The Daily

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post

This is a good question. If you're not used to a 450 you might not like it. Personally, if I had only 4 strokes to choose from I'd probably take a 250F and mod it out before I'd ride a 450 in the tight woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
                  This is a good question. If you're not used to a 450 you might not like it. Personally, if I had only 4 strokes to choose from I'd probably take a 250F and mod it out before I'd ride a 450 in the tight woods.
                  Why so? The main reason I want a 450 is because I dont want to have a lack of power. While I will be on the trails it wont always be in the thick woods, when Im out in the open and want it to scream I want it to.

Physical size there couldn't me much difference between the 250 and 450. Is there?
                  The Daily

Comment

Originally posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post
                    Why so? The main reason I want a 450 is because I dont want to have a lack of power. While I will be on the trails it wont always be in the thick woods, when Im out in the open and want it to scream I want it to.

Physical size there couldn't me much difference between the 250 and 450. Is there?
                    your looking at roughly about 50lbs weight difference

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
                      your looking at roughly about 50lbs weight difference
                      This and the gyro effect of the torque on the steering makes a huge difference in the really tight stuff. It will wear you out and It can be a handful. You really should try to get a ride on a 450, 250F, and a 250 2T before you decide.

Just remember, control is king in XC, not power. Sometimes you have to power down to go faster.

Oh, and any of the bikes above will have plenty of power for a 240lb'er. You'll prob end up modding the 250F though as your skills progress though.
                      Last edited by Buick355; 02-12-2011, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Another difference between the 450X and R (other than the long-range transmission) will be steel valves in the X (for durability) vs titanium in the R (for performance). The suspension and brakes are also a bit downgraded on the X, right?

I'm wanting a 450X Supermoto in the worst way, and have been researching them for a while now. It's going to have plenty of power without being too intimidating, and having the factory e-start/headlight/kickstand/tailight seal the deal for me. The power of the R would be nice, but the X is just better set-up for my purposes.

Comment

the 450x would have more then enough power along with the desired elec start. sounds like the kicking the 450 to start might wear you out if you ever dumped it.

Comment

I have a Wr250F that has had some upgrades - air box modified, grey wire cut, FMF exhaust, YZ throttle stop, and one tooth down on front sprocket. With these mods tha bike hangs pretty good with my nephews 2010 crf250r. He gets me a little down low but I can blow by him on the top speed.

Comment

Originally posted by econodrag View Post
                              I have a Wr250F that has had some upgrades - air box modified, grey wire cut, FMF exhaust, YZ throttle stop, and one tooth down on front sprocket. With these mods tha bike hangs pretty good with my nephews 2010 crf250r. He gets me a little down low but I can blow by him on the top speed.
                              Depending on what year your bike is you can change the cam timing on your WR to YZ specs also.

Comment

Working...
                              X