Wheel/tire question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel/tire question.

I picked up an 09 Tahoe LT a few months back and I'm not a fan of 20" rims or bigger on an SUV. It makes sense to me that the size of wheel will determine the availability and and overall price of tire options for said wheel size.

What are the most common wheel sizes for a truck/suv? Will it be easier to find tires for a 17" rim wheel compared to an 18"? That's the type of info I'm looking for.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Nowdays 20's are pretty common from the factory.. Other than that, most truck / suv stuff I see seems to be 17"..

Our Acura has 19" wheels, which sucks total donkey dick when looking for reasonably priced tires.

Comment

I guessed 17's would be most common and offer more. I'm a fan of more rubber and less rim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

You have to also consider the size of your wheel well. 20s are about as small as I'd go on that Tahoe. Even trying to make up for the difference in wall height, I think you'll be kicking yourself with 17s.
        I hadn't thought about that. Do you think I'd the wheel wells would look empty with the largest tire I could run on a 17" rim?

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          I hadn't thought about that. Do you think I'd the wheel wells would look empty with the largest tire I could run on a 17" rim?

I think it will look strange initially, only for the fact that you rarely see them on anything but 20's anymore. Overall it doesn't look terrible though, IMO.

The 17's will look better with a more aggressive tread tires than street tires, that's for sure. Don't know if yours is 4x4 though.

The older body ('NBS' like my Suburban) looks better with 17's:

Last edited by Chili; 03-07-2016, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I may have to do some photoshopping. Mine is not a 4x4, wish it was though. The plans are to level it out, swap the wheels, and throw some aggressive tires on it.

Comment

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                I'd thought about that route too.

Comment

If I remember right Strychnine did that to his. I like the look..

Edit.. Yeah, it was him: http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...6&postcount=55

Comment

we may never know...

Comment

So here's a 2014 with a leveling kit and 295/55/20 tires, overall it looks much better with the extra tire. I'm not crazy about the stock chevy wheels as they're the same ones I have but I'd probably swap those out.

Comment

So here's a 2014 with a leveling kit and 295/55/20 tires, overall it looks much better with the extra tire. I'm not crazy about the stock chevy wheels as they're the same ones I have but I'd probably swap those out.

I predict a lot of cutting on the front inner fender, specifically the cab side, with that tire. Nothing wrong with that, I'd just expect it.

I personally dig trucks with more sidewall, even though I have a truck with practically zero sidewall.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
                          I predict a lot of cutting on the front inner fender, specifically the cab side, with that tire. Nothing wrong with that, I'd just expect it.

I personally dig trucks with more sidewall, even though I have a truck with practically zero sidewall.
                          From what he's saying no trimming has been done and upon installation there was no rubbing anywhere. The install was finished a week ago and I'm waiting for a reply back to see if he rubs. I'm reading on the TahoeYukonForum and this seems to be a pretty popular mod, one of which requires minor trimming depending upon the tires chosen.

Comment

From what he's saying no trimming has been done and upon installation there was no rubbing anywhere. The install was finished a week ago and I'm waiting for a reply back to see if he rubs. I'm reading on the TahoeYukonForum and this seems to be a pretty popular mod, one of which requires minor trimming depending upon the tires chosen.
                            I wonder if he's driven in reverse yet? Also curious which wheels he's using, because offset plays a factor? We do leveling kits all the time. Bigger than stock tires rub. It's just par for the course. I can't tell you how many vehicles dealers have sent us for leveling, wheels, and tires, and we've had to modify them.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
                              I wonder if he's driven in reverse yet? Also curious which wheels he's using, because offset plays a factor? We do leveling kits all the time. Bigger than stock tires rub. It's just par for the course. I can't tell you how many vehicles dealers have sent us for leveling, wheels, and tires, and we've had to modify them.
                              I was wrong, there's a very slight rub at full lock.

2014 TAHOE LT 4x4
                              CCM 2.5/1.0 Leveling kit
                              Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/55/20
                              Factory Wheels
                              Starting out with 45 psi per info from those who have gone before. Will chalk test when I can and report.
                              No trimming as yet but I just got these on yesterday and have not gotten it off road or flexed the suspension. Full lock to the right today had a very slight rub but I've not investigated the contact location yet. Will update.

Comment

Working...
                              X