• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got GoPro hd helmet cam

anyone used this yet ?
    I've read most of the tips on line.
    Very impressed with the build quality.

Navigating the menuing is not really for stupid people though!
    expansion devices are supposed to come out for the better model too.

now if only I was a rider worth watching what i am doing !

Let's see some dfw riding. I want to get one. I'm using this small flip camera held on by zip ties at the moment....lol

Comment

I was actually looking at the GoPro a couple weeks ago and thought it would be neat. My riding probably isn't worth watching either, but I figure my friends would get a kick out of it.

Comment

IMO. I've seen picture and video from both the GoPro and the HD170, the HD is much better, especially in low light conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          http://www.mypov360.com/

IMO. I've seen picture and video from both the GoPro and the HD170, the HD is much better, especially in low light conditions.
          that things not even waterproof!
          well I want mine for some snorkeling etc.

the low light conditions don't look that good from what ive seen on you tube.
          There is a good indoor MX race on youtube of the gopro that illustrates this.
          so I don't doubt that could be improved .
          otherwise I am pretty impressed ...but I have yet to test mine shooting much

Comment

I hate you... i'm going to check them out in a min at the store

Comment

Anyone want to let me borrow one for next weekend? I want to film some of my stint at lemons...
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Ended up picking one up today and got a 8GB SD card to go with it.

I had a 15 minute video driving around the neighborhood testing it and it was a 1GB file.

What days are you doing the Lemons race? Saturday is the cruise and i'll be using it on the bike to film the cruise from the meet to the track.

Comment

I've heard the gopro doesn't work well in low light conditions either, but that wouldn't effect me.

I plan on picking one or more up in the coming months. I've got a wholesaler that just started carrying them. I imagine surely I could beat retail, but I don't even know the cost yet. Sorry I didn't see the thread sooner Skidmark!
                  US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Originally posted by Hobie View Post
                    I've heard the gopro doesn't work well in low light conditions either, but that wouldn't effect me.

I plan on picking one or more up in the coming months. I've got a wholesaler that just started carrying them. I imagine surely I could beat retail, but I don't even know the cost yet. Sorry I didn't see the thread sooner Skidmark!
                    That's alright... I could have saved money and ordered it online, but I wanted it yesterday so picked it up at CycleGear.

You are right, in low light it doesn't seem great at all. I did a couple test runs with it at night and it sure didn't look HD to me.

What video editing software are you guys using?

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
                      Ended up picking one up today and got a 8GB SD card to go with it.

I had a 15 minute video driving around the neighborhood testing it and it was a 1GB file.

What days are you doing the Lemons race? Saturday is the cruise and i'll be using it on the bike to film the cruise from the meet to the track.
                      We are leaving for Houston Thursday after work, Skiddy.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I just started testing mine today

Pretty impressed with everything EXCEPT dark shooting.
                        Even a little dark, like interior lit areas turn out grainy.
                        However outside on a cloudy day like today is fine.
                        So generally speaking , IMO this thing is an outdoor camera.
                        It will work inside if your opinion of quality isn't that high, but it suffers inside on anything but well lit rooms
                        audio is pretty much awesome, moving, not moving , voices, music even not too bad
                        overall audio is good, I can hear slight things pretty clearly, motorcycle engine sounds about right.
                        the 960 mode with wide angle is predicatably a bit fish eyed. It is good for something you need that verticle height for like a helmet cam / moving camera
                        but with that comes some annoying distortions
                        So I think I'll be shooting 1080p a lot. It's wide , but the clarity is nice. It's also slightly clearer in dark areas IMO. No distortion in this mode I see.

now mounting it on things there is bit of a learning curve. First of all, curves - not cool
                        second of all, I totally fear losing this thing so maybe a safety cord is in order...JIC

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
                          I just started testing mine today

Pretty impressed with everything EXCEPT dark shooting.
                          Even a little dark, like interior lit areas turn out grainy.
                          However outside on a cloudy day like today is fine.
                          So generally speaking , IMO this thing is an outdoor camera.
                          It will work inside if your opinion of quality isn't that high, but it suffers inside on anything but well lit rooms
                          audio is pretty much awesome, moving, not moving , voices, music even not too bad
                          overall audio is good, I can hear slight things pretty clearly, motorcycle engine sounds about right.
                          the 960 mode with wide angle is predicatably a bit fish eyed. It is good for something you need that verticle height for like a helmet cam / moving camera
                          but with that comes some annoying distortions
                          So I think I'll be shooting 1080p a lot. It's wide , but the clarity is nice. It's also slightly clearer in dark areas IMO. No distortion in this mode I see.

now mounting it on things there is bit of a learning curve. First of all, curves - not cool
                          second of all, I totally fear losing this thing so maybe a safety cord is in order...JIC
                          I tested with mine a lot and even took it to about 145 on my helmet and it stayed. At those speeds the audio was still awesome, even using the non waterproof lid.

I agree that night shooting sucks balls. It doesn't look HD at all at night...

While viewing the video with a maximized screen it doesn't look all that great, but when you shrink it down to about the size of a youtube video it looks really nice.

Mount points:

Helmet (sliding bracket): Probably the view I like the most.
                          Tank (sliding bracket): It was very shakey for me at the location.
                          Lower front fairing (suction bracket): This is a pretty cool view and it was not shakey.

I used a bungie cord to wrap around the plastic brackets and to my bike just in case it wanted to fall, but I could hear the bungie clanking against the bracket the entire time. I'm going to be using a small rope and tying it off somewhere on the bike.

Now onto the video output. Look at the back of the GoPro. I am running r3 and i'll explain why.

r1 = WVGA @ 60FPS
                          r2 = 720p @ 30FPS
                          r3 = 720p @ 60FPS
                          r4 = 960p @ 30FPS
                          r5 = 1080p @ 30 FPS

I'm using r3 as it's the only HD format that has 60 frames per second. In my opinion, this will generate the most smooth video while retaining HD.

Comment

which one did yall get? i ride nights the majority of the time, so that would factor in for me getting one. lets see a night vid brien

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                              which one did yall get? i ride nights the majority of the time, so that would factor in for me getting one. lets see a night vid brien
                              Man, i'm still learning how to compile videos lol

Comment

Working...
                              X