Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDL Air Brake test guide

Can we get a sticky?

This came up on the old board. For those studying to take their CDL road test. This are the steps to complete to pass your air brake test. If you can't pass the air brake portion, you won't be allowed to take your road test.

Chock the wheels. Even if the person giving the test chocked the wheels, make a point of saying something to the person testing you "The wheels are chocked".

Allow the air pressure to build to 120 psi then turn off the engine.

Turn ignition key to "on" position (but don't start the truck).

SAY EXACTLY WHAT IS IS QUOTATION MARKS:

1 - "I'm going to push in both knobs. Once the air pressure is stable, the system cannot lose more than 3 lbs in 1 minute" Make certain the tester sees that you're looking at a stop watch and say "Time starts now". Make certain you watch your clock for one minute.

2 - "I' going to push and hold the brake pedal. The brake system cannot lose more than 4 lbs in 1 minute". Push and hold the brake pedal. Check your watch. "Time starts now".

3 - "I'm going to pump the brake until the low air pressure light comes on at 60 psi" Pump the brake until your pressure hit 60 psi and the low air pressure warning light comes on. When the light comes on, tell the tester "The low air pressure warning light is on now. Air pressure is at 60 psi".

4 - "I'm going to pump the brake pedal until both knobs pop out. This will occur between 40 and 20 psi". Pump your brake pedal again until both knobs pop out.
    Last edited by JP135; 02-19-2011, 02:28 PM.

I think you also need to tell them which knob pops-out first, such as the trailer brake at 40psi and the parking brake at 20 psi. I can't remember exactly as it's been too long since I've done it.

Comment

Anytime I've got a new guy getting his CDL, I have them sit in one of the trucks in the yard and practice this until they can do in their sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
        Can we get a sticky?

This came up on the old board. For those studying to take their CDL road test. This are the steps to complete to pass your air brake test. If you can't pass the air brake portion, you DO NOT NEED TO BE DRIVING A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE!

Chock the wheels. Even if the person giving the test chocked the wheels, make a point of saying something to the person testing you "The wheels are chocked".

Allow the air pressure to build to 120 psi then turn off the engine.

Turn ignition key to "on" position (but don't start the truck).

SAY EXACTLY WHAT IS IS QUOTATION MARKS:

1 - "I'm going to push in both knobs. Once the air pressure is stable, the system cannot lose more than 3 lbs in 1 minute" Make certain the tester sees that you're looking at a stop watch and say "Time starts now". Make certain you watch your clock for one minute.

2 - "I' going to push and hold the brake pedal. The brake system cannot lose more than 4 lbs in 1 minute". Push and hold the brake pedal. Check your watch. "Time starts now".

3 - "I'm going to pump the brake until the low air pressure light comes on at 60 psi" Pump the brake until your pressure hit 60 psi and the low air pressure warning light comes on. When the light comes on, tell the tester "The low air pressure warning light is on now. Air pressure is at 60 psi".

4 - "I'm going to pump the brake pedal until both knobs pop out. This will occur between 40 and 20 psi". Pump your brake pedal again until both knobs pop out.
        This is by far the easiest test to get your CDL. Fail more then once you are stupid!
        When i was in the process of getting my CDL test i seen four guys fail this portion because they for got to turn the key to the on position or didn't push in the air brakes.
        92 Undercover SSP Coupe.
        15 GT w/PP

Comment

Originally posted by raider5.0 View Post
          Fail more then once you are stupid!
          Agreed. I did it once. On the other hand, I know the guy who has the record at the Canton DPS office: 14 times.

And he drove a school bus!

Comment

Working...
          X