Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home mixture to get rid of dead rat smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home mixture to get rid of dead rat smell?

Smell has slowly been creeping out of a closet. I searched everywhere until I finally found the rat trap I set over a year ago. Huge rat (tail over 6 inches long) died and somehow he floundered and flopped himself under the insulation (only way I found him was part of the plastic trap was still visible)

Well, hes gone, but his legacy remains.

How do I get rid of this smell? His innerds soaked into a crossbeam into my attic, but didn't seep down onto the sheetrock (board is dark brown, sheetrock is still bright white). When I removed the body, it was all dried out, so he's been dead for a while...but the smell just now hit?

I hear ammonia and bleach? What is something safe I can make and just spray in the closet and up in the attic?

Burn down the house.

Comment

Vinegar works pretty good.
      Ded

Comment

Originally posted by vadertt View Post
        Vinegar works pretty good.
        Put it in a spray bottle and shoot the boards/insulation or shoot it onto the carpet in the closet?

Comment

Both. I used it to get rid of cat piss smells, so it works and afaik it won't discolor anything.

I would try not to spry the acctual sheet rock though as it will prob stain it.
          Ded

Comment

Originally posted by vadertt View Post
            Both. I used it to get rid of cat piss smells, so it works and afaik it won't discolor anything.

I would try not to spry the acctual sheet rock though as it will prob stain it.
            Interesting thing: Removed the dead rat last night around 6:30p. Cleaned the house and sprinkled carpet fragrance in the closet and a little on the floor in front of the door.

Went home for lunch about 30 min ago...smell is totally gone. Wow.
            Last edited by IHaveAMustang; 02-28-2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Remove the carpet and use kills

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post

I hear ammonia and bleach? What is something safe I can make and just spray in the closet and up in the attic?
                FYI NEVER mix ammonia and bleach

Comment

So who did you really kill?
                  Originally posted by 03trubluGT
                  Your opinion is what sucks.
                  You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

Working...
                  X