Replacement Headunit for TJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Headunit for TJ

Trying to find a good headunit to replace the one in my Jeep. All the speakers are stock (including factory sub) but has a shitty Blaupunkt HU in it now. Really looking for something with USB and Aux in. Ipod is not necessary but its a plus.

Plans right now are to just control the stock speaker setup and probably later replacing the speakers (no amp) and maybe installing a new sub and amp.

Suggestions?

man i cant help on the headunit, but replacing the factory speakers in the sound bar made a world of difference on my old sahara.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
      man i cant help on the headunit, but replacing the factory speakers in the sound bar made a world of difference on my old sahara.

god bless.
      Which speakers did you use?

Comment

The Kenwood KDC-HD545U is a great deck with USB, HD RADIO, AUX input, and ipod control through USB input for under $200.

The Alpine CDE-102 is also a good basic unit with USB, AUX, CD, crossovers, 2pr RCA, sub volume, etc for less than $150.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
          The Kenwood KDC-HD545U is a great deck with USB, HD RADIO, AUX input, and ipod control through USB input for under $200.

The Alpine CDE-102 is also a good basic unit with USB, AUX, CD, crossovers, 2pr RCA, sub volume, etc for less than $150.
          Just checked out that Kenwood. $127 at amazon. Might have to pull the trigger on that one, sounds pretty nice

Comment

Heh, the HU in my old 2000 Sahara was replaced within 2 weeks of picking it up from the dealer. Back then I used Boston Acoustic Pro 4" seperates in the dash spots and 5 1/4" (I think) seperates in the sound bar. Sounded awesome and I could cruise with the top down at 80 mph and easily hear (most) every musical detail. Though, I had about 1000 watts pushing the system and my co-workers thought I was going def at the time. lol I also had an Eclipse HU first, but couldn't see the display with the top down. I switched it out for one of the higher end Pioneer OEL displays, which is one of the only displays I could see with the top down. Those were still fairly new back then...

Hopefully that helps some, though I'm sure the industry has changed a ton since 2000... Good luck.
            Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Comment

Alpine BioLite display does not wash out in the sun. CDA-9886, CDA-9887, CDA-117. An amp with a highpass filter will make a huge difference in volume and clarity at high volume.

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                Just checked out that Kenwood. $127 at amazon. Might have to pull the trigger on that one, sounds pretty nice
                I have this unit in my truck. Out-fucking-standing!

Comment

I've killed two kenwood's and one JVC in my CJ. All three from water. Now I have a pawn shop special in there. Just remember when the top is off and your plowing through mud and water it goes everywhere. I dont put anything in it anymore that i dont care if it gets ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                    Alpine BioLite display does not wash out in the sun. CDA-9886, CDA-9887, CDA-117. An amp with a highpass filter will make a huge difference in volume and clarity at high volume.
                    A component amp is completely out of the question. The only thing that MAY happen is an amplified sub to replace the factory unit.

Originally posted by blownragtop View Post
                    I have this unit in my truck. Out-fucking-standing!
                    Good to hear. Easy to use?

Originally posted by 2000 vert View Post
                    I've killed two kenwood's and one JVC in my CJ. All three from water. Now I have a pawn shop special in there. Just remember when the top is off and your plowing through mud and water it goes everywhere. I dont put anything in it anymore that i dont care if it gets ruined.
                    Im gonna go wheeling, but my interior is carpeted still. I have no intentions of raptorlining it at all. Its my daily so if mud or lakes are in the picture the doors will be on, or at least half doors will be there.

Comment

dont forget about rain. I blew one of them cause I got caught in the rain without the top. The tj probably has better protection, but on the cj the water runs behind the dash. I have it set up now where I can just pull the power from the deck without even stopping.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000 vert View Post
                        dont forget about rain. I blew one of them cause I got caught in the rain without the top. The tj probably has better protection, but on the cj the water runs behind the dash. I have it set up now where I can just pull the power from the deck without even stopping.
                        Oh no way. The TJ does great in the rain. Not a leak anywhere, surprisingly. I love it!

Comment

Got the Kenwood for Christmas, can't wait to get it installed. I'll let everyone know how it is!

Comment

Working...
                          X