electricians I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electricians I need help

Ok, I am about to run my power for my air compressor. I am putting it on its own dedicated breaker. My problem is that for the other 2 circuits I have installed I was able to get into the attic and stab the wire through the hole where all the other wires come up into the attic from the breaker box. The last one I did it was a real bitch trying to get the wire through and it was only 14/2 romex. I know for a fact that the 10/3 cable that I have (at least 3/4" diameter) to use will not fit through any holes. The slope of the roof comes down on that part of the attic and it is not possible to get a drill into the attic to make a new hole. So what do you guys do to get the wire into the breaker box?

Are you able to get a paddle bit on the 2x4 at all?

Comment

Originally posted by J&T's 82 View Post
      Are you able to get a paddle bit on the 2x4 at all?
      On the attic side I could probly hit it at about a 30 degree angle and that would shoot me into the brick before I cleared both 2x4's.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
        On the attic side I could probly hit it at about a 30 degree angle and that would shoot me into the brick before I cleared both 2x4's.
        try reaching into the eve from the attic and busting a hole on the backside into the fiberboard/plywood. using a screwdriver to pry it away from the header works too....then just run the wire over the header and drop it down the wall....

im an electrician so if you need any more help feel free to text me at 2148017467. If your local i might be able to swing by and help you out

Arlington BTW

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

Thas a good idea and I will give it a shot. Otherwise I am in Midlothian

Comment

if the panel is in the garage, just cut a small piece of sheetrock (from stud to stud), at the top of the wall above the panel, drill the hole, run the wire, and screw the piece of sheetrock back on.

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
              if the panel is in the garage, just cut a small piece of sheetrock (from stud to stud), at the top of the wall above the panel, drill the hole, run the wire, and screw the piece of sheetrock back on.
              Yes the panel is in the garage and I thought about doing just that. Problem is the garage is finished out and I have never done sheetrock. So cutting the hole, doing the job, and putting the piece back up would be easy to me but I do not know how or have the tools to make it look right again.

Comment

They make a flexible drill bit / bit acceptor.. use that if you can get the paddle bit in there perpendicular but don't have the space for the whole drill.

i think flexbit makes them, not sure on cost though.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                  They make a flexible drill bit / bit acceptor.. use that if you can get the paddle bit in there perpendicular but don't have the space for the whole drill.

i think flexbit makes them, not sure on cost though.
                  they do make a flexbit. I've seen them in HomeDepot and have thought many times about picking one up. they look like they would do the job perfectly. from what I remember though, they are not cheap.
                  --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Other than the way I mentioned, cutting the flap would be the easiest way to do it. Those flex bits work but not really ideal for the area your working it. The header has two 2x4s and your paddle bit is going to have to be at least that long. You will still have clearance issues. Only other way is to come out under the eve in PVC and penetrate the back of the panel....... That's if your wanting it to look professionally installed.

By then your best bet is to pay me to come do it lol

Comment

Will a right angle drill fit?

Comment

Probably but not with a 6 inch paddle bit on the end of it

Comment

The header is 2, 2x4's like said and by the time you get a bit in there, there just is not enough room and you are already stretched out laying down trying to get into this pinched down area so you couldnt get any type of force down on the bit anyways not to mention you are laying accross one 2x with your leg out over the next one trying to balance yourself to keep from falling through into the garage.... you are starting to see the picture......

Comment

Interior wall studs are 18" apart right? can't you drill and drop it like 16" from the pinched corner and run it diagonally down to your drop point?

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                              The header is 2, 2x4's like said and by the time you get a bit in there, there just is not enough room and you are already stretched out laying down trying to get into this pinched down area so you couldnt get any type of force down on the bit anyways not to mention you are laying accross one 2x with your leg out over the next one trying to balance yourself to keep from falling through into the garage.... you are starting to see the picture......
                              If he has a spare piece of ply laying around, i'd suggest using a 2x2 or so section of it to span the rafters.

Comment

Working...
                              X