Daibetics in here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daibetics in here

I don't know if this really is a "pumpin iron" kind of thread but it is about health. So here goes.

Back in late August I decided I needed to get a physical since I was 28 and never had one before. The doc did an a1c and it came out at 7.5. So the doc determined I was diabetic, and gave me Lovaza for my cholesterol levels and metformin.

Well me being bull headed, I decided ,if I was going to fix myself, I was going to do it without medicine. Clean up my diet, lose weight and exercise.

Which is what I did. I lost 35 lbs and kicked alot of bad habits(cokes, etc) Since the original a1c I have had a 5.8 and yesterday I had a 5.5.

Now here is my question for anyone who has had this situation before. Am I really a diabetic or did I just have a bad few months last year and it showed up? I would like to think it was an abiration. How does my insurance look at it? How would life insurance policies look at the situation as well? I was looking at life insurance and I know the question of diabetese will come up.

Any help would be great. TIA.

I'm not sure on the insurance part, but you can completely manage diabetes with diet and diet alone.

Eat more whole raw veggies and fruits, over processed foods, replace your white bread with 100% whole wheat, flax, or other grain breads. Stay away from refined sugars, and fats.

I'm not saying you can't have a hamburger once in a while, but just don't go back to where you were when you had the biggest problems. You've seen the power of a cleaner diet yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
      I'm not sure on the insurance part, but you can completely manage diabetes with diet and diet alone.

Eat more whole raw veggies and fruits, over processed foods, replace your white bread with 100% whole wheat, flax, or other grain breads. Stay away from refined sugars, and fats.

I'm not saying you can't have a hamburger once in a while, but just don't go back to where you were when you had the biggest problems. You've seen the power of a cleaner diet yourself.
      The insurance is the biggest thing. I don't want this to stop me from having a life insurance policy at higher premiums, etc.

I am eating raw veggies and fruits, whole wheat bread, etc. I still love cheese. For some reason I am addicted to it. I have bad cravings for sweets, but I just push past it most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        The insurance is the biggest thing. I don't want this to stop me from having a life insurance policy at higher premiums, etc.

I am eating raw veggies and fruits, whole wheat bread, etc. I still love cheese. For some reason I am addicted to it. I have bad cravings for sweets, but I just push past it most of the time.
        When you crave sweets, look to fruit. I've found i love a good piece of fruit or peanut butter when i get a sweets craving

Comment

When you crave sweets, look to fruit. I've found i love a good piece of fruit or peanut butter when i get a sweets craving
          I got the jar of peanut butter in my desk at work

Comment

My father was classified as a borderline diabetic, he cleaned up his diet and has not had a problem since.

If you have a sweet craving his doctor suggested honey on a piece of wheat bread.

This is just FYI but Insulin is one of the body's most anabolic muscle-building hormones.

Comment

Good luck man. Hopefully you are not a full blown diabetic. Diabetes is a disease you just don't want to fuck with. It runs rampant in my family and I am taking steps to try to avoid it all together. It is just something I am going to have to be vigilant of for the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon View Post
                This is just FYI but Insulin is one of the body's most anabolic muscle-building hormones.
                Yup, plenty of bodybuilders who inject it intramuscularly TURN into diabetics with it! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                  Yup, plenty of bodybuilders who inject it intramuscularly TURN into diabetics with it! LOL
                  Yeah, if you're going to go that route you should RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!

I know some guys that got HUGE on it, the correct way. I'd be too scared to go that hardcore.

Comment

So people actually inject insulin to build muscle?

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                      So people actually inject insulin to build muscle?
                      Yes, Ronnie Coleman, that's how he got SO big. Nothing can be proven but there's a lot of rumors. That and many other anabolic steroids.
                      Last edited by Cannon; 03-02-2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

You can only manage "TYPE 2" diabetes with diet!!!
                        No way to manage type 1 diabetes thru diet.

Comment

Originally posted by spankustang View Post
                          You can only manage "TYPE 2" diabetes with diet!!!
                          No way to manage type 1 diabetes thru diet.
                          sorry that's what I meant to say in my original post, since that's the type he was talking about.

calm down

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon View Post
                            Yes, Ronnie Coleman, that's how he got SO big. Nothing can be proven but there's a lot of rumors. That and many other anabolic steroids.
                            Don't forget the good ol HGH!

Comment

Working...
                            X