Anybody ever self install a fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever self install a fence

We are on the look for a house to buy. Found a real nice house with no fence. Its close to the top of are budget so just wondering if you have put up a fence yourself and also what was the cost. Thanks
    Originally posted by Baron
    If I dissagree with you, it is because you are wrong.

I'ver replaced my fence at a couple of different houses that I've lived in. Here's a somewhat rough way to figure it out. It'll at least get you very close to figuring out the costs.

take your total linear feet. Divide that by 8 to get the number of posts you'll need. This will give you the number of 8ft sections. Then add 3 cross runners per 8ft (or less) section. This doesn't factor in a couple extra for gates or when you have to make shorter sections.

Once you have the number of posts, you can include/post...

1- bag of cement
    3- brackets for the cross runners
    1- pole cap

Take that same linear distance and divide by the width of slats(I use 3 1/2 but you can also use the 5.x inch) to get an idea of how many slats you'll need. It'll get you pretty close. Each 8ft section will take about 28 slats. Then go to HD and price it out. This doesn't include screws or nails if you have a nailer, gate hardware, the screws to fasten the cross runners or other misc stuff you might need.
    Last edited by GeorgeG.; 03-05-2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

It's expensive anyway u go. But cheaper if you do it yourself. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined shouldn't be too hard.

Comment

There are some threads on the canada site with pics of some people that did their own fences. Don't recall if there are any on this board, but you might try searching this section just in case.

Comment

as much as i hate doing it, ive replaced a ton of fence blah.....its not that hard...now they make a post that has seperation lines with predrilled holes so no need for brackets or levels for the runners...

Comment

Putting up a fence is just work. It just takes time, also depending on the location of the house it is sometimes best to square it off to the road.

Get a few friends who know how to put in a good days work and you can knock it out in a day i bet. Well atleast the hard parts if its just setting posts and such. You can do all the little finish work yourself.

Comment

from what have heard it starts around 15 a foot for a cheap fence that wont last long instaled.

Comment

Here's a link to the 'other' site of my fence project: Fence

Comment

Id get some quotes by fence companies. There was a guy on the other site that did a couple fences for board members. I coukd have sworn that the guy on the board wasnt that much more expensive than a DIY job due to his supplies rates

Comment

Its really not to bad of a job if you plan and measure first. I had never done one in my life and just finished doing the first part a little earlier this morning. I did everything you can possibly do, at least up until the concrete dries. I just made sure that the measurements were accurate between the post holes, and made sure the height of them was level as well. I took my time and started roughly 8:15-8:30ish this morning and was done with that part by 2:00.

By the way, it was only 80 feet worth of fencing (just replacing the back side). I should be completely done tomorrow by 12:00 if I start at 8:00 AM or so.
                    Originally posted by mutherjuggz
                    That whole "making love" shit is for the birds. I won't get all graphic on my preferences, but if you can't knock the bottom out with a vengeance.... leave me alone

Comment

Do you want to do a chain link, privacy or what?

Comment

I've done a few as side jobs from time to time. Like everyone has said, if you get a few friends, you can knock it out in a weekend. Don't get in a hurry to hang everything and let the concrete on the posts set up. Day one is getting all the post holes drilled and posts set. Very critical step to ensure everything is dead straight in line so when you hang your rails and pickets you wont see any thing other than a nice straight fence line! Day two is put up rails and pickets (my preferred method as it gives you a better finished product IMO)
                        if you do the picket method, about every 6-8 pickets put a level on the side of the picket to make sure everything is still going up straight.
                        It really isn't that hard, just labor.
                        Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions I might be able to help you out with.
                        86 SVO

Comment

Once you have the holes dug out, you'll need to come up with a base line that you'll use to line up the other posts. Set both end posts in the concrete, level them and let it set up, then with nylon twine, tie it to one post and then wrap it around the post a couple of times so it's tight. Then run it to the other end and wrap it around the other post in the same direction as the first post. What this leaves you with is a line that is on the same side of the posts. Then as your setting your other posts, set them so the twine is running along the same edge as the end posts. The idea is to make sure your posts are straight with each other post and not leave you with a "zig-zag" fence line because your posts are off centered a few inches. When you're working with a 6-8 inch hole, it's not easy to "eye-ball" it and end up with a straight line of posts. Also keep your level handy and check it as it's setting up. You'll have plenty of time once you pour the concrete to level each post but as the temps get hotter, the concrete will set quicker. Until it begins to set, the post may begin to lean so keep an eye on it until it begins to set.

Comment

Working...
                          X