what's up with my chest workout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's up with my chest workout?

I need to know if I'm doing something wrong with my chest workouts. Here's what I do...

bench press - 7 reps @ 155 X 4 sets
    Incline - 7 reps @ 135 X 4 sets
    Decline (Freemotion cable) 7 reps @ 70 X 4 sets
    I'd say this workout is easy, I can complete all the sets. I'd like to increase the weight but don't have a spotter so I keep it safe.

Just this week I switched to the Hammer Strength machines in hopes of increasing my weight due to the lack of a spotter. However, I think these machines were designed for tall people because it places my arms too far back, which makes it difficult to start, plus, I'm use to the starting position being up(like on the bench press) not with my arms completely folded back.

Bench - 7 reps @ 140 X 4 sets
    Incline - 7 reps @ 140 X 4 sets
    Decline - 7 reps @ 140 X 4 sets

Here's my problem...I don't really feel it in my chest. I mainly feel it in my triceps, specifically just above my elbow. I'm sure my form is good, I don't arch my back, I don't bounce it off my chest etc. I try to focus my chest to do the work but by the time I'm done, my tri's feel like it got the workout and not my chest....what gives. I'm working my chest every 4th day.

Have you thought about switching it up using dumbbells?

Comment

Widen your grip, and don't work it so much. I'm reading it as if you would do chest on Monday and Thursday. If you're not goin to failure you're missing out on alot of growth potential. I recommend a spot for that or machines.

Dumbbells work as well. Try more chest flyes/pec decks or similar.

Edit: I just read about it being difficult to start hammer strength machines. That tells me you don't go down that low on bench or are doing something weird.

Comment

I don't think you're doing nearly enough reps and sets. Also, if you're not feeling it in the muscle you're trying to work, there is no question, your form is off. Get someone to watch you, who knows what they are doing.

I'm a huge fan of dumb bells, especially if you're trying to go heavy without a spot. Both sides have to pull their own weight, gotta use the stabilizer muscles and good form (elbows slightly tucked...strait accross body builder style is hard on the shoulders).

I use the Bill Phillip's "Body for Life" book work out, high point training. I tried it like 12yrs ago and it worked well and worked fast! My dumb bell flat bench work out looks like this:
        65s x 12 rest of 60sec
        75s x 10 rest of 60sec
        85s x 8 rest of 60sec
        100s x 6 rest of 60sec
        85s x 12 no rest right to flies w/ 30sx12 or burn out
        (honestly, because I work out at lunch and am limited on time, I usally super set this with bent rows using the same dumb bells and reps doing press/row/rest. It's brutal!)

All my lifts use that same patern of 12-10-8-6-12/12 in this order of effort level: Warm up, some strain, hard, really heavy, may or may not get em all and end with burn out.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, but this works well for me.

-Jonny
        2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
        '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
        '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

If you can get 7 reps on your last set and you're doing 7 reps on your first set, you're not working out that hard. I understand that you don't have a spotter, so use dumbbells. One of the things I would like to do at the gym would be a burnout set with 135lbs then start my lower rep sets with heavier weights. Usually 90-100lbs dumbbells, and I would just do three sets to failure. Typically I would only be able to do 3 or 4 reps on the last set.

Just trying to give you some examples. Basically it sounds like you're not lifting enough weight though. 140lbs for 7 reps isn't shit unless you're a little guy(no offense) that weighs around that.
          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I appreciate the tips guys. I know I'm definately not pushing myself, that's why I switched to the Hammer Strength machines so I can add more weight and go till failure. I've only used them twice so I'm still getting the feel for the machines and adding weight. My main concern is why are my tri's taking the beating. The other day, when I finished my workout on the HS machines, I still had more in me...so I jump back on the HS bench as was going for round 2 of the bench-incline-decline, and could lift it due to my tri's burning.

Ok, so I'm going to start doing the 12/10/8/6/12 method to change things up some more. That'll get me 20 more reps than my 7x4. I also forgot to add that I wrap up with the pec deck, again 7@135x4.

I may switch to dumbbells if I can't get the HS machines to work for me.

JD, no taken. To give you an idea, I'm 5' 5" and if my BF% was in check, I should be around the 165-170 mark. However, I'm currently 199.

RuffDaddy, my grip is more that shoulder width and I probably go down about 1-2" off my chest...you may have a point there. And if I did chest on Monday, the next time would be Friday.

Comment

You ideal grip for bench press will put your arms at a 90deg angle when the bar is at chest level. More narrow will work your tri's and inner chest more and wider will work further out on your chest, but is also harder on the shoulders. Also, where the weight is coming down at chest level will affect where you feel it. Bench press is a compound exercise involving more than one joint using muscles from under your shoulder blades to lock shoulders in place, shoulder muscles, inner and outer pecs, tris, abs, legs, etc. Depending on where you are weak, you may have to grow one muscle group to start feeling it in the others. It also all comes down to form. Most guys in the gym are nice guys. Find one doing bench press who looks strong and like he's been doing it a while and ask him to watch you and check your form. 99 out of 100 will be glad to do it if it doesn't break up their work out too much. Do this with light weight till you get the feel.

Machine weights will mess with your form since they are set on a fixed motion and there are zero free weight movements that are truly unidirectional. Even a strait press will have a slight bend or "S" curve path to it.

-Jonny
              Last edited by Jonny00GT; 03-11-2011, 12:47 PM.
              '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                I appreciate the tips guys. I know I'm definately not pushing myself, that's why I switched to the Hammer Strength machines so I can add more weight and go till failure. I've only used them twice so I'm still getting the feel for the machines and adding weight. My main concern is why are my tri's taking the beating. The other day, when I finished my workout on the HS machines, I still had more in me...so I jump back on the HS bench as was going for round 2 of the bench-incline-decline, and could lift it due to my tri's burning.

Ok, so I'm going to start doing the 12/10/8/6/12 method to change things up some more. That'll get me 20 more reps than my 7x4. I also forgot to add that I wrap up with the pec deck, again 7@135x4.

I may switch to dumbbells if I can't get the HS machines to work for me.

JD, no taken. To give you an idea, I'm 5' 5" and if my BF% was in check, I should be around the 165-170 mark. However, I'm currently 199.

RuffDaddy, my grip is more that shoulder width and I probably go down about 1-2" off my chest...you may have a point there. And if I did chest on Monday, the next time would be Friday.
                That's pretty stout for 5' 5". I'm 6' 1" and consider a healthy weight for me 180-190, then again, I've never really tried bulking up or cared to try.

Like somebody said previously, try widening your grip. If you're gripping really close, then you'll be using more triceps. Also, at the top of your rep, really squeeze your pectorals together to get as much out of each rep.
                "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

When your pushing, try to break the bar like breaking a spaghetti noodle. This will put a lot of emphasis on your chest. I am no expert by any means, but this helps me.
                  JamesB Chassis is looking for a fabricator/general shop help, call or PM for info.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                    First off you need to go full range of motion, meaning touch the bar to your chest. While the bar is on your chest, make sure your wrists are not inside of your elbow. If so, your grip is too narrow. Make sure your wrists are at least parallel with your elbow, if not outside just a tad.

People that do half reps are only working triceps anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny00GT View Post
                      You ideal grip for bench press will put your arms at a 90deg angle when the bar is at chest level. More narrow will work your tri's and inner chest more and wider will work further out on your chest, but is also harder on the shoulders. Also, where the weight is coming down at chest level will affect where you feel it. Bench press is a compound exercise involving more than one joint using muscles from under your shoulder blades to lock shoulders in place, shoulder muscles, inner and outer pecs, tris, abs, legs, etc. Depending on where you are weak, you may have to grow one muscle group to start feeling it in the others. It also all comes down to form. Most guys in the gym are nice guys. Find one doing bench press who looks strong and like he's been doing it a while and ask him to watch you and check your form. 99 out of 100 will be glad to do it if it doesn't break up their work out too much. Do this with light weight till you get the feel.

Machine weights will mess with your form since they are set on a fixed motion and there are zero free weight movements that are truly unidirectional. Even a strait press will have a slight bend or "S" curve path to it.

-Jonny

I should have read down further before I posted the above response.

Comment

Not enough weight, not enough sets. Your chest workout needs more chest workout. If you are worried about the triceps doing too much work them pre-fatigue them and do some tricep specific stuff before doing your chest or put in some pulldown sets in between your chest sets to fatigue them faster. As others have said you can also change your grip to shift focus off of your triceps, unfortunately in flat bench a lot of that puts stress on your shoulders.
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I started the 12/10/8/6/12 the other day...I think that'll definately help. I'm still adjusting the weight amount/increments so that it's always a challenge to finish the reps.

I work tri's, back and traps on a different day. I work chest, bi's and shoulders on the same day. That works out better for me because working chest and tri's on the same day usually results in the second muscle group not getting worked as hard due to the tri's already being fatigued.

Comment

Depending on your split, it's usually recomended to work "push" (Chest, Tris, Shoulders) and "pull" (Back, Bis, Lats) together so you don't burn a secondary muscle the day before you need it for the primary muscle group heavier lifts. Ideally you want 48hrs min between lifts for a specific muscle group to give it time to hearl. (Also why sleep is super important! Build that torn down muscle back up again.)

For example, let's say you do chest, bis and shoulders Monday and you go to do Back, Tris and Lats on Tuesday. You use a lot of bicep to work back and lats, but you already burned them the day before, they are tired and sore already, so you may feel it there before you get to feeling it where you're intending to or it may kill how heavy you can go. You also used a lot of Tris to do your chest work out and they may not be up to full potential the day after resulting in a weak tricep lift or already sore muscle, especially if you chest form is still resulting in tricep fatigue like you noted before.

I wouldn't call this a rule, but it's something to watch for. If you find you're weaker on those groups, you'll know why.

If you're waiting 48hrs between lift days, I think you're fine doing it your way.

-Jonny
                            '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Also, don't forget on the 12-10-8-6-12/12, the first set is a warm up and so is the set of 10, but a more strenuous warm up. The idea is to peak at the super set of 12 and 12. You want to barely be able to get your 6 so you're warm and primed and your 12/12 is really hard and you either barely get it or you can't get them all. If you know you're going to get them or the weight ends up being too light, just go a lot slower and focus on the negative so you don't have a wasted lift, then adjust your plan for more weight next time.
                              '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X