New Carpet - Lowes is expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Carpet - Lowes is expensive

we built our house right at 10 years ago. we are overdue now for some new carpet in the bedrooms. Have wood or tile is all other places of the house. lowes came out and measured, we have about 650 sq feet for master and 2 kids' rooms. they want over $2000 for carpet, padding and installation. Carpet we picked out is only $2.18/ft and that was a middle of the bunch style.

anyone know of a cheaper place? havent really shopped around, but didnt really wanna spend $2k on carpet right now with other projects going.

Whats the problem with that price?

That is a little over $1400 JUST on carpet not even including padding. Padding is another few hundred depending on what you want. So your not ok paying $400 in labor or less for them to rip out your old stuff, haul it away, and put new stuff in?

Maybe do it yourself or find cheaper carpet :-\
    www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Comment

thats actually me tearing up, hauling away and removing all furniture

Comment

if it comes out to $400 in labor...that sounds like a good deal. Although that should include tear up and haul off, but if it doesn't, that wouldn't be a deal breaker. Just cut it into 4-5ft width strips, roll up and set it by the curb.

The city should pick that up if it cut into small enough sections.

We've bought from the carpet outlets before and figured it was cheaper than Lowe's and HD.

Comment

I paid $2800 to have my house done last January. It was about 1200 sq. ft. That included removal, padding and install. I had Surplus Floor Outlet do it, but I understand they may be out of business now. I also did a 0% interest for 18 months deal through GE Money.

Comment

972) 484-0440
            amigo's flooring

they are cheap.. they put new carpet and a new pad in my house for 900 and it was 1000sq ft.. that was in 03 though
            "PSH!!!"

Comment

You can always get one of those Lowes 10% off coupons and use that as well, should save you about $200

Comment

let me get the number to the guy that my mom uses, he charges like 200 a room for carpet and install

Originally posted by DOHCTR
                You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
                  let me get the number to the guy that my mom uses, he charges like 200 a room for carpet and install
                  If he charges 200 a room for carpet and install then he is most likely using a builder grade carpet.

OP - what kind of padding did you choose? I know lowes has their protectant barrier pad which really isn't worth the extra cost in my opinion.

I would try another place besides Lowes. I used to install for Lowes about 5 years ago and they paid out $3.50 per yard to the installer with no furniture or tear up. The mom and pop shops or smaller than Lowes shops will usually charge $3.00 a yard or sometimes even $2.50.

In all honesty Lowes is going to be more expensive.

This was 5 years ago, somethings may have changed though.
                  Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                  Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

We used Home Depot when we renovated our last house, 6 years ago. At that time they gave us the most competitive offer for what were looking for. I did the front of the house in all top of the line wood laminate and let them come in and do the carpet in the back of the house where all the bedrooms were. All in all, for some higher end carpet, padding, and installation,it was right around $3000 for a little over 900sqft, and that was with me ripping up the old carpet and padding and pulling up the old tack strips. The installation was top notch and the guy doing the install showed up at the day and time he said he would for measurements as well as the day and time he said he would for installation. We couldn't have been happier with the whole experience from start to finish. He even helped me get all the transition pieces into place and installed before he left, which was above and beyond what he was being paid to do.

For the OP's 650sqft, I honestly don't think $2000 is out of the ball park for the quality of installation you're going to get. Sure, you can hire some crew off the street with credibility and let them cut corners and maybe you'll be happy with it when it's done and maybe you won't.

Comment

Working...
                    X