Roof Turbine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Turbine

Have 2 of these spinning things on my roof and last year in a storm it jolted them and they wont spin anymore. I went up and tried to fix them but they are shot. I did some reading on the internet and there are alot of people saying these things dont even work in the first place.

Anyone know anything about these? Im thinking I need to replace them and get some that start spinning again before summer heat. Wondering if there are any other alternatives that might work better?

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
    Anyone know anything about these? Im thinking I need to replace them and get some that start spinning again before summer heat. Wondering if there are any other alternatives that might work better?
    Yes, there are alternatives that work better. Your two main options will be a solar powered vent (self explanatory) or a powered vent.

Upside of solar, is it doesn't cost anything to run. Downside of solar, some are underpowered, solar cells go bad, etc. Upside of powered fans are that they are VERY effective, downside is it costs money to operate.

FWIW - I'm going to replace mine with powered vent fans. I'm going to set one to run all the time, and set the other on a thermostat so that it will only come on when attic temp reaches ___.

While you're at it, you need to go around to all your soffit vents to make sure they are free of obstruction. If the soffit vents are blocked, the whirly birds (or even a powered fan for that matter) are doing nothing but spinning for no reason.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
      Have 2 of these spinning things on my roof and last year in a storm it jolted them and they wont spin anymore. I went up and tried to fix them but they are shot. I did some reading on the internet and there are alot of people saying these things dont even work in the first place.

Try using a ridge vent. If you have the proper soffit vents there is NO need for any mechanical form of ventilation. If I remember correctly, a single section of QUALITY ridge vent will vent as much air as 4 box vents or 2 "whirly bird" vents. There are no parts to fail and they require ZERO energy to run. It's pretty much a no brainer. They also don't look like shit sticking out of your roof.

Comment

Another vote for a ridge vent. You can add one to an existing shingled roof.

Comment

I think that ridge vents look like shit and they are nearly useless for venting an attic. You hide the turbines on the backside of your house. The turbines are very effective and require zero upkeep. Other than yours I've seen one other fail and it was very old. The power ones work but are usually loud, cost money to run, and will eventuall give problems. Solars work also but cost around 400 for a good one and it will give problems in a few years also.

Comment

Originally posted by sdun View Post
            I think that ridge vents look like shit and they are nearly useless for venting an attic. You hide the turbines on the backside of your house. The turbines are very effective and require zero upkeep. Other than yours I've seen one other fail and it was very old. The power ones work but are usually loud, cost money to run, and will eventuall give problems. Solars work also but cost around 400 for a good one and it will give problems in a few years also.
            You are sadly mistaken. A "quality" ridge vent is practically invisible. If you can't see it, how can it look like shit? I don't know who told you that they dont work but you are mis-informed. If you hide the turbine vent on the back of the roof than it will not work properly, it needs to be at or near the peak.

Comment

Working...
            X