tubular A arm issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tubular A arm issues

Im trying to get my tubular A arms into the K member. They just wont fit. So i measure the pivot tubes on each A arm. The pivot tube towards the front of the car is something like 1/8" shorter than the rear pivot tube, and its like that on both A arms. Thats what is causing me issues. The front easily slides into the K member brackets, but the rear doesnt fit in between. And the front has a nice gap between the bushing of the pivot tube and the bracket on the K member. That gap seems wierd to me and i wonder if it will dissapear once i tighten it down. I assume since both A arms are this way, it is meant to be, right?

Anybody have this issue? should i beat on it with a rubber mallet to get it to fit? Why cant anything just be an easy install, argh....
    Last edited by spederman; 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM.
    2002 4.6L 5spd S281

So fast i make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales

Yes the gap is supposed to be there. When you tighten the bolt it will close the gap. This is if you have an aftermarket K member also. If not, you may have the arms designed specifically for an aftermarket K and not the stock one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark04 View Post
      Yes the gap is supposed to be there. When you tighten the bolt it will close the gap. This is if you have an aftermarket K member also. If not, you may have the arms designed specifically for an aftermarket K and not the stock one.
      I also have an aftermarket K member also with the A arms (Both PA Racing).

The part that confuses me though, is why does only the front pivot tube on both A arms have that gap when installed in the K member. The rear pivot tubes on the A arms are longer and actually dont even fit in between the two brackets of the K member unless you beat on them with a mallet. Is this a manufacturing defect or is it made this way for some reason?
      2002 4.6L 5spd S281

Comment

Originally posted by spederman View Post
        I also have an aftermarket K member also with the A arms (Both PA Racing).

The part that confuses me though, is why does only the front pivot tube on both A arms have that gap when installed in the K member. The rear pivot tubes on the A arms are longer and actually dont even fit in between the two brackets of the K member unless you beat on them with a mallet. Is this a manufacturing defect or is it made this way for some reason?
        You shouldn't have to force it - post a pic

Comment

I would call PA Racing and get a tech on the phone. From looking at pics and write ups online, there isn't anything that would point me to believe that the pivot tubes lengths should differ. Also, I don't think there should be that big of a gap unless something is missing, not installed properly, or built incorrectly.
          01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

Were they used? If so sometimes the tabs don't open up when you pull the a arms off. Happens with the stock k too. I just used a length of all thread with 2 nuts on it (inside the tabs of the k member), then just turn them to open up the tabs enough to slide the arms in.
            92 LX 5.0

Comment

figured it all out, got them installed. Just took a bit of maneuvering. I do have a dumb question, what is this rubber cover over the ball joint on my new A arms? Is it a dust cover for shipping purposes, or am i leaving it on and installing the spindle over it?

2002 4.6L 5spd S281

Comment

Leave it on. It keeps dirt and debris out, and keeps grease in, while on the car.
                92 LX 5.0

Comment

Tell the truth. Were you trying to put them on the wrong sides? Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad91 View Post
                    Haha. Sounds like this could be the issue.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad91 View Post
                      LOL, no, that would have made sense, but i had the sway bar mount facing front of the car. It just needed some persuading with a rubber mallet.
                      2002 4.6L 5spd S281

Comment

Cool, glad you got her done. No matter how much you pay and whos name is on it. Shit just doesnt fit right straight out of the box the majority of the time.

Comment

Working...
                        X