Ar tools for assembly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ar tools for assembly.

I'd like to start a thread on what is needed and who has the best prices.

Most of us need to build uppers.

First upper vice block. I have not looked that hard yet.

I have used this style before putting one together for a friend. I would borrow his, but its for a 308.

Im not a fan of this style imho.

ive got one of these

only other thing i would recommend is getting a big clear plastic bag and assembling the detents/springs inside it so that way your not digging through the carpet when it comes flying out

To be honest just a punch set, vice blocks or rags and some patience. 5.0 CJ will probably chime in soon enough, he helped me build mine and showed me everything step by step.

BTW when shit hits the fan thats where im headed lol

:edit: just read you mentioned assembling uppers......mine came pre assembled so........subscribing lol

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

I am very well aware of the tool's and tricks.

My intent of this post was to help people find the tools needed at the cheapest price.

Since 80% of the traffic in this forum i would say is ar related it will be nice to get all the info out there for everyone.

Comment

This is the kind I used when doing my work...

Strap Wrenches - bought some for HF for now

I also bought that multi-tool from DPMS for 30 dollars (Version I bought has barrel nut prongs though as well)

Barrel nut wrench from YHM (came with my free float rail) 32 dollars

Punch set from HF for 5 dollars
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

When tightening the barrel nut you need a torque wrench. The large armorers wrenched get obstructed on some aftermarket AR nuts, I believe dpms and a few other manufacturers make a billet wrench with tabs and a 3/8 socket hole which is much more dependible. Also a stock wrench for castle nuts if you're doing a collapsable so
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

That's the whole reason I bought that DPMS wrench (they are on backorder for a bit though) is to be able to hook up a torque wrench. Good enough is good enough, which is where you get with the YHM tool - but ya never know. Better to be in spec.

Comment

To add on, I don't see the tool on the DPMS site as of this time, which is concerning. I may have to call them again.

Anyway, it was a version of this DPMS tool that CJ is talking about..

DPMS Multi-Tool
              Model: TL-MW
              Qty: 1 ($34.95 each)
              Cost: $34.95

Spec's from their site, although I can't find it on their site. (this is from my order)

Comment

I have a drawer of seperate tools I use just for ARs.

Roll pin holder punches are well worth the money and you can find them at the gun shows fairly regularly. +/- $8.00

A butane torch for heating up stubborn FSB pins.

A good brass drift with a pointed head is good for getting FSB pins started.

A torque wrench that has the swinging arm and not the click type is good for measuring the torque. I can not remember the official name.

A punch set with a small (tiny) hammer

A good allen wrench set. Most of the devices you buy that need allen wrenches will come with one but I find it nicer to have a set with longer legs or even handles to make the job easier.

Vise blocks with a magazine block.

1/4" clevis pin for those front take down pins.

#4-20 tap and a handfull of #4 set screws for the rear take down pin.

Every tool I have I would not do a build without.
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

that vise block is a little pricey

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post

Thats what im saying. Find us something cheaper.

What good is it going to save me if i have to buy 70-100 in tools if i only plan on building one more.

I have most of the tools except a vice block, and barrel nut tool.

Comment

Daniel Defense rails require a $15 wrench that they do not put in their kits. Not sure why not. When I bought one of my DD rails from CTD even though they did not have the wrench in stock they atleast told me I needed it before I bought the rail kit.
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post

What good is it going to save me if i have to buy 70-100 in tools if i only plan on building one more.

The ACTION block is the one that is needed when putting a barrel on an AR-15 to keep from twisting the receiver and to hold it in the vise, the vise block (magazine) is handy but not needed.

The LR-308/AR-10 upper receiver is stronger and the vise block made for them is enough to install the barrel. Be aware that most of the LR-308 and the AR-10 parts and tools do not interchange with each other.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post

I shopped hard for my stuff and for instance, the YHM rails I bought NIB - but from a person 'used' - came with the vice and yhm wrench - of about 140 dollars shipped.

A lot of these tools can be had cheap from gunbroker.com as well. However, they are used 1 time only deals so limited usefulness if links are posted.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                            $49.95 at the Ft. Worth gun show today.
                            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                              To add on, I don't see the tool on the DPMS site as of this time, which is concerning. I may have to call them again.

Anyway, it was a version of this DPMS tool that CJ is talking about..

DPMS Multi-Tool
                              Model: TL-MW
                              Qty: 1 ($34.95 each)
                              Cost: $34.95

Spec's from their site, although I can't find it on their site. (this is from my order)
                              I picked one up at the gun show for $29.99 today.
                              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Working...
                              X