Tire Shelf-Life??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Shelf-Life??

Anyone have any opinions on how long a tire will last before the rubber starts to deteriorate? I don't put a ton of miles on my 954 and have a Pirelli SP1 on the front that's been on there for about 3yrs. It's got a lot of tread left and feels fine, but I got a good deal on a new one and am considering putting it on while I'm in the process of replacing the rear.

So does the rubber get "harder" over time, offering less grip or becoming less predictable? These are full soft DOT race tires, so is there concern around riding them on the streets and having them see hundreds of heat cycles (vs race conditions where they get up to temp and then essentially live there)?

Can I just throw the spares in the attic and use them 2-3yrs down the road without concern?

I'm not doing track days or probably even fully utilizing the full capability of these tires, but I like having as soft of a front tire as I can buy to give me confidence with stoppies and cloverleafs.

My DRZ had the original 6yr old Dunlops on it when I got it, and I never had an issue with the front pushing in any condition. I got an SP1 for it too though, and will be putting it on when I get the rims back from powder coat.

So....any opinions here on how time can affect the performance of a tire?

I wouldnt throw them in the attic, the heat will destory them

Comment

Yeah, garage is bad enough. No real good places to store tires for a normal homeowner. I mean, in the house would be good but eventually the wife ...
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

No wife...so I'll throw them in the closet of the back bedroom if that helps any.

So what do you guys think? Any reason to replace my 3rd old tire? It's probably got less than 1k miles on it, so I'm hesitant to swap it out, but I got a brand new one waiting to go on. Should I just keep the current tire as a spare? That's what I'm leaning towards.

Comment

i think you just like to spend money! haha

Comment

Oh shit..believe me, that's not it. I just did an oil change, front brake pads and tires on the 954 and it cost me $500 in parts alone...I did all the labor. Sucks. But it's a nice ride now and a lot of fun to ride, so fuck it.

Comment

Working...
            X