X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern tool welder?

Does this look like a decent deal:

or would I be better off getting something like this 140 rig:

I'm really curious if the house brand isn't a reboxed miller/hobart. If it is I think it's a no brainer considering the light use I want it for, but otherwise I'm a little timid of a rig that has no reviews or anything online.

Also, how much is the argon/co2 tank rental/purchase?

TIA.

Argon bottle will cost you around 200 and thats buying it. When it is empty you just exchange it for 20 to 40 bucks. Both figures depend on what size bottle you buy.

Comment

Okay thanks!

Got any opinions on either fo the 2 rigs?

Comment

between those two I would go with the Hobart. it's a very good affordable machine. I have a Hobart 175 and have had it for about 12 years without a single problem. what kind of work do you intend to do?
        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
          between those two I would go with the Hobart. it's a very good affordable machine. I have a Hobart 175 and have had it for about 12 years without a single problem. what kind of work do you intend to do?
          light welding, not using it to make money.

primary project is finishing out my jet ski trailer, but after that i want something good i could use around the house for years. Don't really think i'll ever need to weld more than 1/4" steel anyways..

I've read/heard that a lot of the different brand welders coem from the same factory, hence my asking if it was a rebox/badged hobart/miller.

I'm gonna run by NT tonight and hopefully put hands on both of them, maybe see if i can find any signs of the NT manufacturer.

Comment

Get the Hobart, uses miller parts so they are easy to get and you know they will still be around in 10 years. I had the same Hobart you posted and even got it from Northern Tool and liked it. The only thing it lacked compared to its Miller counterpart was a infinite power control control and instead has 4 presets. If you can get past that then your good man.

Also on the bottle, just break down and buy one at Home Depot and start exchanging it there. Im hard headed and found one on craigslist, found out it was too big to exchange anywhere local, finally got lucky and airgas took it on exchange but then I was locked into exchanging there cause the bottle was so big. In the end I just bought one at home depot so I can exchange it down the street.

Comment

Cool, thanks buddy. Like I said i'll run by and look after work. Hopefully they've got something on sale.

Comment

We recently upgraded but had been using the Hobart 140 for the past few years. Never a single issue.

Comment

I just bought a hobart 187 230v unit got it from cyberweld on line. I say stick with the hobart you won't be disatisfied. They have great customer support and a forum to help with projects and questions. Cyber weld has free shipping and no tax and good deals
                  89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

Hobart is made by miller , I got a 140 handler running 75 / 25 gas it welds alright up to about 1/4" anything thicker and you will be pissing in the wind (no penetration ) if you get the 140 it should be 120 volt you will have to up the breaker you use to 30 amp to get the best performance from it,anything less than that and you will trip the breaker.

Comment

Working...
                    X