Lets talk metal building insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk metal building insulation

What should I do? I am about out of money building my new building so I need to either do a little at a time or find a way to save some money.
    I don't plan on doing A/C any time soon if ever but I would like to insulate to keep the heat from building up inside as much as possible.

My builder and a few people I talk to say spray foam but its super expensive. I have also been told that its not fire retardent and needs to be covered by drywall which I didn't intend on doing. Since I am always creating a lot of sparks or welding is this a problem with the spray foam?

I was thinking maybe do the spray foam on the roof now and do the board type with foil on the walls as I can afford it?

What have you done and what do you wish you did different?

6-25-10 RIP Chloe Rene Daddy loves you always

78 Suburban (slammed with LS in future)
    54 Olds 88 2dr HT
    12 Camaro SS convertible

tagging along. I am getting mine built next week and all the research I find says spray in is the best, but like you said its expensive. I think one guy said about a buck 40 a sqft. I'm hoping to get a few quotes when I get mine finished. I also heard if you want to do spray in its best to do it right away before you get all your stuff moved in. Mines only 20x40x12 but I wasn't looking to spend 2k+ on just insulation!

Comment

My only concern with spray foam is how bad it's gonna stick to the metal. If you ever need to replace a piece of sheet metal it could be a real pain in the ass.
      The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

Comment

Originally posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post
        My only concern with spray foam is how bad it's gonna stick to the metal. If you ever need to replace a piece of sheet metal it could be a real pain in the ass.
        I don't think I would ever run in to a situation that I would need to unless it was hail / tornado and insurance would deal with that.

54 Olds 88 2dr HT
        12 Camaro SS convertible

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead78 View Post
          I don't think I would ever run in to a situation that I would need to unless it was hail / tornado and insurance would deal with that.
          Personally I've always had good enough luck with the sheet insulation but it could look like ass though.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Spray foam is awesome stuff, it fills ALL voids and makes your house, shop, barn whatever completly air tight as long as your doors and windows are sealed. There is a risk of fire when sparking because after all its a form of plastic. Me personally i would spray foam the ceiling and use standard insulation bats for the walls....I think thhis configuration is best for you and you can do it in steps to save on initial cost.
            81 LX
            82 GT

Comment

Originally posted by junk racing View Post
              Spray foam is awesome stuff, it fills ALL voids and makes your house, shop, barn whatever completly air tight as long as your doors and windows are sealed. There is a risk of fire when sparking because after all its a form of plastic. Me personally i would spray foam the ceiling and use standard insulation bats for the walls....I think thhis configuration is best for you and you can do it in steps to save on initial cost.
              Thats what I am leaning towards. So if I seal it up do I not need any kind of ridge vents?

54 Olds 88 2dr HT
              12 Camaro SS convertible

Comment

My last shop was a 50x60 and was foam from top to bottom. When they spray the foam they can come right behind the foam w/ white paint and the entire shop is white. The paint sticks to the fresh foam like glue. This is a great thing to have on those dark winter days, it really helps light things up. They have a foam that is not flamible like the old stuff was. If you can swing it I highly suggest doing foam on the entire shop, money well spent. I had a 60x40 before that with the white "shop insulation" and it worked ok but nothing close to the foam. Call Chad Ewell @ 214-878-4559. His family has been doing foam for a long time.

Comment

and everytime someone drops something towards the white shop insulation it pokes a hole in it!!, go with the spray

Comment

Originally posted by sdun View Post
                    My last shop was a 50x60 and was foam from top to bottom. When they spray the foam they can come right behind the foam w/ white paint and the entire shop is white. The paint sticks to the fresh foam like glue. This is a great thing to have on those dark winter days, it really helps light things up. They have a foam that is not flamible like the old stuff was. If you can swing it I highly suggest doing foam on the entire shop, money well spent. I had a 60x40 before that with the white "shop insulation" and it worked ok but nothing close to the foam. Call Chad Ewell @ 214-878-4559. His family has been doing foam for a long time.
                    You know anyone else to call that is reasonable. I have talked to him three times and each time he says he will get back with in with in a day with an estimate. I have get to get so much as a call saying he is still working on it. If they can't even call me back with a quote I don't get a warm and fuzzy about them showing up for the job on time.

54 Olds 88 2dr HT
                    12 Camaro SS convertible

Comment

972-222-8462 This is the buisness # ask for John. The # I gave you was the youngest sons, maby 21, it looks like he is a little flakey. He did a urethane floor for me on the side and saved us a lot of $ but if he is unreliable it's not worth it.

Comment

I have used Garland Insulation on a few jobs, one wich was using foam in some places where nothing else would work. My contact is Ahni Gamboa 214-460-0104. She is very "insulation" smart and will turn a quote around usually same or next day.

Comment

Working...
                        X