Can-Am Spyder Pro's & Con's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can-Am Spyder Pro's & Con's

Have been entertaining the idea of making a purchase on a Can-Am Spyder. But since I have no history of owning a Motorcycles or must less riding them either, I wanted to see what the pro and cons are with them other than the price tag. I personally have only riden four wheeler's about three times in my life, and had a blast. I thought about looking into a four wheeler but I have to drive far away to ride it. And this Spyder could be rode on the streets legally. As I said I don't know much about motorcycles or riding them, so any input would be helpful.

Call Kawasaki of Dallas in Lancaster, Rick has two of them and they have great prices. He did all the test rides for them and said they were a blast. He almost bought one for himself and he hasn't rode in years.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Pros:
      It is sort of a motorcycle
      Decent performance
      Lots of storage
      Big 7 gallon tank

Cons:
      It is sort of a motorcycle
      Weighs as much as a bagged Harley with slightly more power
      Fuel economy stinks compared to a bagged Harley (30-35mpg vs 45-50)
      It's a Can-Am, parts availability and the dealer network are miserable compared to conventional Japanese or American motorcycles.

I have a good friend with one, he loves the thing. He had a Ninja 636 and a Suzuki cruiser prior. The performance comes right in the middle of the two but when riding two up it's a whole lot nicer. He bought his solely because his finacee wouldn't ride with him on a motorcycle.

Honestly though if you don't need the training wheel why not look at a two wheeler? For less money you can get onto a K1200 or Concourse 14 or even a dressed out Harley or Victory cruiser for a little more cash.

Comment

if it don't lean , it isn't a motorcycle

though i would like to ride one. can't be that slow after all
        probably catch some looks even if they have been around for a while now.

Comment

So for a begineer would it be good to have? I'm 37 yo. and I usually learn things the hard way and would prefer to stay away from the educational accidents that happen on a motorcycle. I know there is only one to learn things and that is just go out and do it, but I have seen some bad accidents.

Would you say that other biker's look down on these bikes and owners?

Comment

Originally posted by Markus View Post
            Would you say that other biker's look down on these bikes and owners?
            Definitely, hence my training wheel comment. Take an MSF course and you'll get pretty comfortable. If you plan to learn on one of these you might as well not even be riding a bike, it doesn't perform or handle at all like one. It's really more like a Miata with a taller seating position and none of the crash protection.

They are great for a very specific market segment. If you are handicapped or physically can't ride a motorcycle or just want something different for example, otherwise I'd spend a whole lot less and get a 2 wheeler.

Comment

I would have to agree with the go ahead and get a two wheeler comment. Like BP said, just take the MSF course and ride with in your means and you will be just fine.

Comment

Buy you a throw down dirt bike and learn to ride it over the course of a couple of months. Thennnnnn take a safety course, and finally buy you a two wheeler. This is how many people I know have learned to ride, usually on my bikes. LOL
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Thanks for the input

Comment

Oh and just because it has more then two wheels does not mean you cant be thrown off. Ask this guy.........twiceeeee

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                      Buy you a throw down dirt bike and learn to ride it over the course of a couple of months. Thennnnnn take a safety course, and finally buy you a two wheeler.
                      Solid advice.

Comment

I beg to differ. taking a corner on a dirt bike is completely different than taking a corner on a sport bike.
                        HD Parts
                        paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

I too have considered one of the Can-Am's, I like the them.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                            Oh and just because it has more then two wheels does not mean you cant be thrown off. Ask this guy.........twiceeeee

Comment

Originally posted by 89stangGT View Post
                              I beg to differ. taking a corner on a dirt bike is completely different than taking a corner on a sport bike.
                              Not really. Plus it hurts way less to hit the dirt then concrete. Not to mention scuffing up your new bike.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X