A/C drain line ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C drain line ?

So the condensation line from my A/C goes into the sink in my master bathroom, and I have noticed whenever the heat or A/C is on, I smell sewer gas. It's like the water in the trap is getting pushed back and the gas can escape past it. Yes the drain line is before the P trap, it is in the proper place.

I went up into the attic and the drain line has the open end for the vest, and I feel air blowing pretty hard out of it when the A/C is on. Is that normal? I realy don't think I noticed this smell until this past winter, lived here now almost 4 years.

I smelled the open end of the pipe, no odor at all, just in the bathrom when the stupid thing is working.

Any idea's/suggestions? I have to keep the sink drain closed, or the bathroom smells like ass!

Pic of the pipe in the attic that goes to the bathroom.
    Last edited by yellowstang; 03-28-2011, 08:32 PM.

it is normal to feel air coming from the drain line, and it sounds like you may need a p trap in the condensation line going too the sink, is this a gas furnace? if so the p trap goes before the t.
    81 LX
    82 GT

Comment

Originally posted by junk racing View Post
      it is normal to feel air coming from the drain line, and it sounds like you may need a p trap in the condensation line going too the sink, is this a gas furnace? if so the p trap goes before the t.
      yeah, the furnace is gas, but the P trap on the sink is after the condensation line, otherwise the gas would back up into the A/C drain line. Are you saying I need two P traps? Not much room between the line coming down the wall and the sink's drain line, like maybe 6 inches.

Comment

Comment

no sir you just need one coming from the main drain line out of the furnace, i will get you a pic of what i mean, the one under your sink should stop the odor i would think...the trap in the drain line of the furnace aids in drainage.
          Last edited by junk racing; 03-21-2011, 07:10 PM.
          81 LX
          82 GT

Comment

Your first pic up top the line on the left is your primary, put a running trap stRaight out of the coil into that tee if you have room, that will keep the air from blowing through the line.

This is a running trap

81 LX
            82 GT

Comment

Originally posted by junk racing View Post
              Your first pic up top the line on the left is your primary, put a running trap stRaight out of the coil into that tee if you have room, that will keep the air from blowing through the line.

This is a running trap
              Sweet, Home Depot, here I come!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X