Bonneville World of Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonneville World of Speed

I know this is probably a long shot, but has anyone on here ever taken a car and run in the 130 or 150 mph club classes as the Bonneville Salt Flats? I've always had a thirst for speed, but track racing bores me, and carving corners can get really expensive really fast. For those who aren't familiar, the 130 Club is basically for factory street cars to run without a ton of rules or a crew. Tech inspection requires a full helmet, 4 point roll bar for a vert or t-top car, and a driveshaft safety loop, S rated tires, then all the normal bullshit you'd require at a track like long pants and closed toed shoes. This is a class any jerk with a set of keys can pretty much run and try to hit the goal. Anyway, has anyone on here ever been out there, and if so what did you think of it?

I have in 2005 and yes it is that simple but you have to register early cause registration takes awhile. Make sure you have everything cause it would suck to head all the way out there and forget something simple. It was cool but you only can run the short course( 1-mile) so if you are looking to do land speed racing the Texas mile is closer and it is paved.Driving fast on the salt is tricky cause you have to deal with slippage. Also make sure you have a spare parts or a trailer, there was a Rivera that drove there and gernaded the motor(shattered the block, lifters on the ground) and that was all he took out there. Did you use to work at Carmax in the parts dept?
    Last edited by kdventura73; 03-21-2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kdventura73 View Post
      I have in 2005 and yes it is that simple but you have to register early cause registation takes awhile. Make sure you have everything cause it would suck to head all the way out there and forget something simple. Did you use to work at Carmax in the parts dept?

Sure did, back in 2005.

Which class did you run? Can you give me specifics how the process went once you got there? I've got a copy of the tech sheet for 2011, so barring major changes I should be able to get the car set up by 2012.

Comment

Once you get there and go to tech when it opens cause there usually a long wait, it is like any other track but they do a tough tech inspection but if your car is good no worries. Get in the staging area and wait. They make sure that track is clear for every run which also take some time.Just alot of down time and thats why I like the Texas mile better. The salt flats will be one of the coolest places you will ever go to.I will try to scan in some pic of when I went. I worked as a tech at Carmax, I am Scott with the yellow Ventura and gave you the number to the guy with the 57 Chevy limo when you were getting married.

Comment

Once you get there and go to tech when it opens cause there usually a long wait, it is like any other track but they do a tough tech inspection but if your car is good no worries. Get in the staging area and wait. They make sure that track is clear for every run which also take some time.Just alot of down time and thats why I like the Texas mile better. The salt flats will be one of the coolest places you will ever go to.I will try to scan in some pic of when I went. I worked as a tech at Carmax, I am Scott with the yellow Ventura and gave you the number to the guy with the 57 Chevy limo when you were getting married.

Yeah, I remember you man. Still working up there? Thanks for the info. Just trying to figure out what to expect. I'm going to spend the next month doing research and decide if it is feasible or not. Looks like I could spend maybe 3k on the car and it would be set up pretty well. Most of that would go into yhe roll bar and install.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            Most of that would go into yhe roll bar and install.
            I just got a 10pt cage,subframe connectors,seat installed,rear sheet metal firewall, and shocks relocated in my Ventura for 2k. I went with Steven Hansen race cars(972)921-8890 in Red Oak and I was impressed with his work and price, also he got it done quick. You should check him out when you are ready to get it done.What car do you have now cause I remember the mustang and 57 Chevy? Even if you don't go to race, its worth going and watching.I left Carmax after I kept getting my Ase certs, recerting and no raises, hell I got everyone you can get for a tech. I went to work for Drivetime shortly after you left for Oreillys and still there. They were not to happy when I left cause 5 other techs quit and went to DT too. I enjoyed working there but I had to see what else was out there. I should of put said the GEO LEE, I think everyone remembers that car.
            Last edited by kdventura73; 03-21-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Yellow Ventura from Saginaw?

Comment

I just got a 10pt cage,subframe connectors,seat installed,rear sheet metal firewall, and shocks relocated in my Ventura for 2k. I went with Steven Hansen race cars(972)921-8890 in Red Oak and I was impressed with his work and price, also he got it done quick. You should check him out when you are ready to get it done.What car do you have now cause I remember the mustang and 57 Chevy? Even if you don't go to race, its worth going and watching.I left Carmax after I kept getting my Ase certs and no raises, hell I got everyone you can get for a tech. I went to work for Drivetime shortly after you left for Oreillys and still there. They were not to happy when I left cause 5 other techs quit and went to DT too. I enjoyed working there but I had to see what else was out there. I should of put said the GEO LEE, I think everyone remembers that car.

Haha, got rid of the 57 and the Cobra, now I've got a 99 Gt Vert Anniversary Package. It's been a long and weird six years, especially the last six months. I'm running the O that services that Carmax now. lol Still got the Geo?

Comment

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
                  Yellow Ventura from Saginaw?
                  Yeah, I saw another 74 Ventura this weekend driving around there

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                    Haha, got rid of the 57 and the Cobra, now I've got a 99 Gt Vert Anniversary Package. It's been a long and weird six years, especially the last six months. I'm running the O that services that Carmax now. lol Still got the Geo?
                    No, funny story was I was going to sell it to Carmax so I could watch it roll threw the auction up there but a rod let lose right at Elliot Reeder road so I sold it to the scrap yard. Does George still work in parts up there?

Comment

No, funny story was I was going to sell it to Carmax so I could watch it roll threw the auction up there but a rod let lose right at Elliot Reeder road so I sold it to the scrap yard. Does George still work in parts up there?

Yeah, he's there. I think he moved over to service though.

Comment

Yeah, I saw another 74 Ventura this weekend driving around there
                        Mcnavich? I used to have a silver 90 GT, went to Boswell, haha.

Comment

They won't let me go in there anymore so next time you see him tell him I said hi. Art is heading to the Texas Mile for the first time on saturday and e-mailed me to see if I wanted to go but it is to soon of a notice. I plan on going to San Antonio to see him and head to the Oct Texas Mile meet

Comment

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
                            Mcnavich? I used to have a silver 90 GT, went to Boswell, haha.
                            Close,What year did you graduate? I don't remember a silver GT just Shawn's white GT and Dale's blue Lx coupe/green truck. My little brother also had a brown then silver 74 Ventura.

Comment

Close,What year did you graduate? I don't remember a silver GT just Shawn's white GT and Dale's blue Lx coupe/green truck. My little brother also had a brown then silver 74 Ventura.
                              In 02, I used to hang out with your little brother and go to kennedale all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X